Turning between centers - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Only problem is he has a Shopsmith, there is no Morris Taper to stick a dead center in.

My mistake, never seen a Shopsmith. He could use a rod that fits the hole in the head stock and just use a file to make a 60 degree point while it spins. My first dead center was made this way holding a 1/2Ē rod in my chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Only problem is he has a Shopsmith, there is no Morris Taper to stick a dead center in.
Right, which is why dogcatcher suggested the #C drill. I donít have any letter drills, so I will use the next size up, which Iím sure I have.
Where did the dimensions for letter drills come from anyway?
Chasboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 75

Letter drill sizes came about as an extension (increased size) of the number drill sizes. (smallest = #80; largest = #1) . Nobody wanted to have to deal with "0" and negative numbers as sizes got bigger.

Now, the number drills starting (smallest) at #80 and increasing in size up to #1 (bass ackwards, if you ask me) came about ... I am told or read ... in relations to wire sizes. . There were very many different "scales" of wire sizes. . Eventually, a standard was reached and that is what we now have. . What were the wire sizes used for ? . Who knows ... that info is lost in the history of the Industrial Revolution, I guess.

A #80 drill is 0.0135"; #1 is 0.228"; A is 0.234"; and Z is 0.413" . . Why did those sizes start and end where they did ? . Who knows that either ... but that is what we are stuck with.

Why am I bothering to write this ? . Dunno that either ... except that it is very windy here, my roof is creaking, and I can't sleep ....

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 02-09-2019 at 04:07 AM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 26

I just worked with Brian from TBCbushings.com to get a set of TBC bushings that I can use with multiple kits, aka they are non-kit specific. Brian was really easy to work with, and I recommend contacting him for a set all your own. Once I get them, I will report back, but his TBC adapter bushings are amazing.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 8

This works for me.

Les
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Eliminate Out 0f Round Pen Blanks.pdf (229.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brailsmt View Post
I just worked with Brian from TBCbushings.com to get a set of TBC bushings that I can use with multiple kits, aka they are non-kit specific. Brian was really easy to work with, and I recommend contacting him for a set all your own. Once I get them, I will report back, but his TBC adapter bushings are amazing.
Michael,

When you get started with TBC, if you don't mind, do a write-up of your experiences. It sure helps when we see write-ups from someone who just got started vs someone who looks back on it several months or years down the road.

When we moved overseas for work there in the mid '80s, we were told "take photos in your first three months; after that, the new culture will be common place and you won't remember what is unique!"

Same with new experiences.

Thanks.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_ab_penman View Post
This works for me.

Les
This article is well done and should be brought to the attention (as it has in this instance) of all pen turners who wish to move to TBC.

I am going to try to remember to do this when I am in a position to do so.

Thank you, Les, for this post and for preparing this very useful article.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread

Last edited by bertha; 02-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hmmmmm ... how do you "tag" ... not a process I am familiar with on the IAP website.

Or maybe the "tagging" is done by the browser ... shows how much I don't know !!!

Old 02-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
Michael,

When you get started with TBC, if you don't mind, do a write-up of your experiences. It sure helps when we see write-ups from someone who just got started vs someone who looks back on it several months or years down the road.

When we moved overseas for work there in the mid '80s, we were told "take photos in your first three months; after that, the new culture will be common place and you won't remember what is unique!"

Same with new experiences.

Thanks.
Great idea. I've been doing it between centers for a few weeks now, but I'm using Brian's TBC adapter bushings with regular bushings. I think I'll try to type something up today with how things are going so far.
Logged on members can hide ads