turning between centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am to take it from my attempts at searching both here and on Google that they is no longer anyone making bushings for turning between centers. Not having a CNC lathe myself, the thought of trying to make my own.. or costing jobbing such an item out..

What is out there??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Make your own or why do you need them??? Use the standard bushings to get you started than switch to some homemade bushings. Type in "turning between Centers without bushings" in the search box and read the many threads. That should get you started. There are many utube videos too.

magpens

I turn between centers without using any bushings ... you need accurate calipers though.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am to take it from my attempts at searching both here and on Google that they is no longer anyone making bushings for turning between centers. Not having a CNC lathe myself, the thought of trying to make my own.. or costing jobbing such an item out..

What is out there??
Hey Matt, my way, if I don't happen to have CNC bushings, is to use a 60* centre drill and drill the stock bushings. Not as good/accurate as CNC bushings but provides the opportunity of at least getting close to the correct dia. I'm not a big fan of using a micrometer to get there, but to each his own is my motto.

Come back!! Johnnycnc!! PLEASE! with no disrespect to all CNC bushing makers now!

Hey Matt, my way, if I don't happen to have CNC bushings, is to use a 60* centre drill and drill the stock bushings. Not as good/accurate as CNC bushings but provides the opportunity of at least getting close to the correct dia. I'm not a big fan of using a micrometer to get there, but to each his own is my motto.

Come back!! Johnnycnc!! PLEASE! with no disrespect to all CNC bushing makers now!

I spoke with him today and he seems to be happy and doing well. Just has a few odds and ends left over but nothing coming close to a set. I guess he had a good run at it and decided it was enough.

I can hardly blame him.. some days I just want to sit and think, and other days I just sit.

Lazerlinez makes them. Classic nib carries some. And a member here Brian Nikkitas will make them to order.

Thanks. I went onto Lazerlines and they do carry what looks like a few of the bushings that I am looking for. I was asked by a neighbour to make up a bunch of the thinner Regal or Slimline pens as gifts for a cancer awareness conference that he is organizing. I haven't made any of that size before and as I prefer turning between centers I thought it best to have a proper made bushing to get them right.

Will get into contact with them next week to make sure I get the correct ones.

Souths1der

I've been turning between centers with just the normal bushings and finishing with no bushings. I check the dead and live centers every few pens because I have to clean off accumulated finish and both show no signs of damage from the bushings.

Top Bottom