Turning between centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeSr

Hello everyone. I am interested in starting to turn between centers but am not sure what I need. I have a full sized lathe with #2 taper and currently use a mandrel. I did a search but did not get much for results. If you guys/girls can set me straight, much appreciated. Thanks, Joe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeSr

Thanks Mike. Dumb question for you, where do I get the bushings and do I need more than one size diameter? Joe

Charlie_W

Between center bushings are available from The Classic Nib and also from LaserLinez.....who makes them for Classic Nib.
They used to be available from Penturners Products. John has very few products listed currently.
You will need a different set of bushings for each type of pen you turn.
You will also need a 60 degree Dead Center in the headstock. The live center in the tailstock.

Last edited:

jsolie

Grizzly makes a decent dead center, IMO. I have one with a carbide point. It works great, and it didn't break the bank.

As for using dedicated TBC bushings vs. the ones that are for the kits, I use both.

I find that the TBC bushings sometimes fit tighter in the tubes. I really have to make sure that all excess glue (epoxy & ca in my instance) is out. I've also found that some of the TBC bushings are at different diameters than some of the kit bushings. Sometimes they are a little proud of the kit bushing, and sometimes a bit shy. In practice, I really haven't found this to be a problem.

As for turning, the TBC bushings fit deeper into the tubes, and I think this helps with stability. The stock bushings don't have a 60 degree bevel on them, so they tend to leave a mark on my dead center and live center. The dead center I'm not too worried about, as I have the one with the carbide tip. My live center will need replacement soon as the tip looks like it's been chewed up a bit from the bushings.

With either the stock bushings or dedicated TBC bushings, going TBC as much as possible has really helped with my pens. The headstock and tailstock on my lathe are off center from each other. I've done what I can to get them close. Height wise, they are fine, but front to back they are off a little bit. If my lathe were still under warranty, I'd take up the matter with the manufacturer.

southernclay

So get a 60 degree bit and cut the factory bushings to be 60 degree's :) Simple.

also I should throw in you need a scroll chuck with at least 1" jaws; also a drill chuck.

Ed, I was just wondering if that would work. I got a set of inexpensive center drills recently so worth a shot.

Joe, I would second that a set of calipers are great to have. Mine are digital and measure in inches as well as mm, you will use both frequently.

edstreet

So get a 60 degree bit and cut the factory bushings to be 60 degree's :) Simple.

also I should throw in you need a scroll chuck with at least 1" jaws; also a drill chuck.

Ed, I was just wondering if that would work. I got a set of inexpensive center drills recently so worth a shot.

Joe, I would second that a set of calipers are great to have. Mine are digital and measure in inches as well as mm, you will use both frequently.

Yes it will work. You still have the slop factor of the fit and OD tolerance, also the short in tube shaft length.

The digital caliper I use does fractions as well.

TonyL

I use both when TBC bushings are not available

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in pursuing fatdawg's comment re using standard bushings. Frankly, to me it makes sense. Why not?

This is not an answer to the Why not?, but I use both the TBC bushings from Lazerlines, and the when that come with kits assuming fit inside the tubes....then I use my calipers. I am into about 60 pens doing it this way, and have not had a problem. My first choice us always the SS Laszelines bushings though.

This is just my experience...much brighter and experienced folks out there.

edstreet

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in pursuing fatdawg's comment re using standard bushings. Frankly, to me it makes sense. Why not?

In my tag line there is a link to this very subject, one in which we got very descriptive and I even posted photo's. There are a good number of reasons "why not" to use factory bushings.

Dan Masshardt

I use a 60 degree dead and live centers with standard bushings. Some will arge, but it's worked just fine far.

It does work but it's not ideal. The contact area on the bushing is extremely small (one line). This will also cause particular wear to your centers over time.

It varies but some have poor tolerances. I've found several loose in the tube.

I still use them at times but get tbc bushings for anything I use regularly.

Top Bottom