Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbarrash

Having acquired a "Live" and "Dead" 60 degree centers, I am curious and anxious to try TBC penturning. How imperative is it to use bushings specifically designed for TBC or center drilling mandrel bushings. Can you use regular bushings designed for mandrel use? Can you just turn tubed blank and just measure as you go? Do I need the bushings specifically designed for TBC? Thanks in advance for your experience and input. Dave

toddlajoie

IMO. TBC Bushings will make things faster, as it takes time to repeatedly stop the lathe to measure your progress to final size. That being said, I just turn tubed blanks for many pen styles and only have TBC bushings for the ones I do most. You can drill out and use standard bushings, but you have to be sure to get the drilling done accurately, and you are still at the mercy of the original accuracy of your mandrel bushings...

alamocdc

David, I TBC almost all of my pens and I only have one set of TBC bushings. I use the standard mandrel bushings for everything but slims. I ordered TBC bushings for those for obvious reasons. So yes, you can use most regular bushings.

BassBlaster

I dont use bushing for TBC. Just mount the barrel between the two centers and work away. This does require the use of calipers and takes more time but the end result is a better fit IMO.

Dont use too much pressure. Just enough to spin the blank. Too much pressure can flare the tube and crack your blank.

Top Bottom