Turning Aspen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeinco

I have a ton(not literally) of Aspen on my property that has been downed for several years and the question is whether or not it can be turned into a pen? I know that some have called it "punky wood" which I think means its dry rotted from the inside out. If the center is dry rotted but the rest is firm can it be turned. I suspect it would be rather bland looking, but I think it would give me something to learn with. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Sound like will dealing with spalted wood. Not sure you live but where I am from if trees lay on the ground more than two years forget it! Not saying not to try but do evaluate wood condition as you process your logs. Disease & insect damage could also make the wood useless.

Some will tell you to apply CA glue as you turn to harden spalted wood because can chip a lot. Have had mixed results do that.

Definitely recommend wearing good dust mask while turning & sanding.

mikeinco

Glen you're right, I have lots of spare time and since I've never turned anything it will all be a learning experience. I'm not sure what "spalted" means so any enlightenment will help. Thanks.

DeeDee, where are you, I will probably need lots o help!

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Aspen has some fantastic grain and I know a lot of people use it for ornaments but if it has sat on the ground for a long time it might be to soft without some type of stabilization. Most of the ornament turners like it to be dead standing when they get it. It is worth a try what have you got to loose?? It might be beautiful only you will know after processing some.

deedubl

Mike, I'm on the front range near Woodland Park.
Not sure how much 'help' I would be... LOL, but always good to meet another turner.

One of the guys at my local Woodcraft told me he grabbed pieces of green Aspen and just turned everything he could get his hands on for practice when he first started. We have so much Aspen on the ground in CO that it's a shame NOT to at least try it.
Think I need to go for a drive this weekend.

Last edited:

BSea

I'm not sure what "spalted" means so any enlightenment will help. Thanks.

DeeDee, where are you, I will probably need lots o help!
Spalting is when wood starts to decay, and fungus starts growing in the wood. Usually it appears as black lines, but not always.

Here's a spalted pecan pen.

mikeinco

BSea, that's a beautiful piece.

DeeDee, I'm over in Divide and have a bunch of Aspen you can pick thru some was dead standing that I dropped about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the explanation of "spalted wood." I'm not real sure that Aspen will do that, usually just rots away on the ground and even the dead standing has some rot in it, but I have a couple of more to drop so I'll check them out. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom