turning antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I was given a piece of deer antler. HELP!:eek:

I have NO idea where to even start turning it. What are the pitfalls? What tool to use? What glue to use? How to finish?

I have seen all these beautiful antler pens and I would love to make one but I have no idea how

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Turn it between centers! You can make adjustments as necessary in order to get the most out of it. Once you get it round, then drill it, makes things easier if it is already round, either drill it on the lathe or with a pen vise on a drill press. Finish with CA and MM to 12000. I use a 3/4 roughing gouge, you should use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Bellsy

I start by squaring my blank up with a bandsaw and then drilling it in the pen vice. After the tube is glued in, I trim the blank ends off with my sanding jig for squareness. Mount the blank on the lathe, I now use a mandrel saver....slick! Turn the blank down with a gouge and finish if off with a skew. Sand it to 600 grit and use CA as your finish. Sand the finished blank to 12000 MM. I then polish the blank with Huts Plastic Polish and trim the ends with the skew before taking it off of the lathe. Lightly sand the ends (square) before installing the hardware.

Dave

sbell111

Before you cut, drill, or turn antler, make sure that your dust control methods are perfected. Breathing in antler dust will send you to the ER.

IPD_Mrs

Sharon, no matter what method you choose for drilling and turning you will want to finish it with CA. I don't know what kind of finishes you are use to doing but you will find that antler is much like pumice stone once turned. Without the CA the antler will get dirty over time from handling it. When you drill and turn the smell is much like that of when a dentist drills a tooth for filling. Good dust collection will cut down on the smell and as Steve mentioned the dust can be a health hazard.

JohnU

I would suggest not getting it to hot when sanding. Antler is known for cracking. Also make sure you use a lot of epoxy when gluing in the tube so there are no airpockets against the tube, especially near the end. Also make sure you clean the inside of the tubes real good and I always ream them a bit ( before turning down) to minimize the risk of cracking during assembly. If something goes wrong PM me and I'll send you some more. I have a small stash. :). Good luck!

Top Bottom