Turning antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made about 13 pens and feel like I am getting the hang (or at least the addiction) of it. My neighbor gave me some white tail antlers and I want to turn them.

What do I need to know about turning antler? Is there a way to leave some of the brown ridges on the pen for the effect? Do you do a CA finish?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Antler is harder than normal material. Sharp tools re required. Also has a smell similar to a dentist drilling teeth. Take time while drilling for heat. Sometimes you will need CA when you get to the marrow in the antler. Soak it with thin for best results. A CA finish is not "required" but some like to use it to keep oils to soaking into this material. As as for leaving the brown, sometimes you can if you drill in a curve but don't plan on it.

Do not be afraid but go slower than you would with wood. Hope this helps.

altaciii

An antler pen with the bark showing is a tricky drill. Its hard drilling a straight hole into a curved piece of antler. The only way to have the bark showing is to drill offset from center on straight piece or "closer" to the bend on a curved piece. When it turns out nice it really gives the pen its own personallity. What I was told when I first started turning the material is practice, practice, and more practice. It polishes well and lasts long. You can find solid ivory and of course the marrow filled bone. Heres a pic using both for the different barrels.

Attachments

• antler euro.JPG
    antler euro.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 337

TXPhi67

If you search through the boards you will find all sorts of suggestions regarding antler. Everything from boiling them to straighten the curves to heavy use of CA.

For me personally - I found that the following kind of covers the subject:

1) Stink - its going to smell bad when you drill it and work it. Unfortunately - the stink also tends to linger. So, if you don't like the smell of burning teeth (think root canal type work, but with a lot less pain) - then you probably are really not going to like working with antler.

2) Careful pen kit choice - since white tail tends to be real pithy in the middle, selecting a kit that will allow you to carve out most of the pith for the tube tends to work well. The exception is fresh antler which can have a rather interesting reddish brown hue to the pith some folks like. Just remember what Tim said about CA. When it comes to the pith of antlers - CA is your friend.

3) Consider drilling off center - if the bark is clean and interesting (not weathered white for example), a pen that shows some of the bark and has a "natural" edge can be very striking. Just be sure you have figured out how much clearance you have when drilling and don't wind up coming out the side.

4) Slow and sharp - just as Tim said, antler is pretty hard and tends to eat the edge off of even the best tools. Don't be surprised if you need to hone your tools during your turning. I use carbide tools similar to the skogger and have pretty good success. Also, don't get aggressive in your cuts. It will blow up on you if you put too much pressure on it.

5) Mask up - Antler is pretty much pure protein and no matter how sharp your tools are and how good you are at cutting - you will generate a lot of dust and that dust can do some pretty nasty stuff to your lungs. This is especially true if you have allergies or any kind of breathing issues. Make sure you wear a good mask. The little blue paper ones just won't cut it. They don't get enough of a seal.

6) Seal or not to seal - if you have a really nice white rack, I would recommend you strongly consider sealing it to keep that ivory like finish. Otherwise, there is something to be said about the patina the antler will get over time if not sealed. I've done it both ways and really can't say that I'm displeased with either method.

7) Experiment - antler can make some very nice segments and embellishment on various projects. I made an egg timer style hour glass for my wife several years ago and used antler for the spindles - turned out kind of neat if I don't say so myself. :) Most folks only use parts of the beams that are straight and of the proper size for pen. But, you can use the tines for interesting small vessels, the bases for ink wells and small pull knobs, and the really curved stuff can be cut length wise to use in other pen projects as segments.

Hope this helps a bit.

If you enjoy turning the white tail and want to try some other antlers - send me a PM and I'll dig up some Axis for you to try as well.

Take care,

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you have curved antler and would like to straighten it, boil a length (6 to 8 inches) for about 15 minutes or so and put it in a wood vise while hot to straighten it. Smaller diameters than 3/4 in. work best.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you turn round between centers prior to drilling, you can get a better idea of what the surface you want to use will look like and if there is enough meat for a pen. Also a lot easier to drill a round piece than a curved one.

jskeen

Some random brain droppings on turning antler.

It's hard to get two pieces to come out looking continuous, even if they are turned from the same section of antler. 80% of the antler I turn is matched with another material on the pen. If you get an order for a complete antler pen either set the expectation that it might not "flow" from top to bottom, or be prepared to try several times. DAMHIKT

If you want some "control" of how the material turns out, the best way is to start turning the piece round between centers on your lathe, and after you get the high points of the curves knocked off, take it off the lathe, look it over, hold the tube up against it, measure, scratch your head, take it to your desk and fondle it while having a cup of coffee, ect. then sand the ends enough to remove the dimple from the centers and turn some more on a different set of centerpoints to try to get the desired effect. Cursing, throwing things and kicking the cat are optional, but might help. This is especially entertaining on customer supplied "special" pieces of antler.

Mount a curved piece very lightly in the lathe, and spin it at high speed. Shine a light at a low angle at the piece and look down on it as it turns, you will see the "shadow" or outline of the minimum diameter of solid material that would be left if you turned that piece to a cylinder ON THOSE CENTERPOINTS. readjust centerpoints to maximize that minimum diameter, or to set it so that you get the desired amount of bark left on the outside after you turn to final diameter. This is best accomplished by closing one eye, squinting and turning widdershins while chanting under your breath (YMMV)

Antler that is too light colored can be dyed varying shades of brown with a solution of potassium permangenate crystals in water. This also puts nifty permenant purple stains on hands and converts good shirts into work shirts very quickly. You can get the PP crystals in the plumbing section at sears and at most plumbing supply places. It is used to backflush the salt filters on water softening equipment.

Mac

I have made about 13 pens and feel like I am getting the hang (or at least the addiction) of it. My neighbor gave me some white tail antlers and I want to turn them.

What do I need to know about turning antler? Is there a way to leave some of the brown ridges on the pen for the effect? Do you do a CA finish?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :cool:

I too was introduced to antler early on in my pen turning, It does smell when drilling,cutting, and grinding. I like turning it. use sharp tools and a lite touch, cause it will more than likely be out of round during turning if you want to leave the ridges. It does like to catch or grabb tools .I think that is one of the reasons a lot of knappers use them to make arrowheads. I know I do. Depending on the size you can offset between centers to leave the ridges. I usaully turn some what round before I drill that way I can offset the piece. I also drill mine on the lathe. you can use a CA finish or buff with w.diamond and wax. You can even use FP.
I also use the tips for keychains .If you are interested in making some of those I can tell you how I do it.

MarkHix

they pretty much covered it...

If you have large antlers, you can lay out the different pen types by the diameter of the antler to maximize your material. the smaller diameter you use, the less marrow you have to contend with.

JohnU

Antler pens are one of my favorites to make, and I make as many of them as i do any other pen. I would suggest NOT making slimlines. The thinner you turn it, the more likely it will crack. I dont make antler pens smaller than comfort style pens. Euro's are nice too. Dont get it too hot drilling or sanding. Make sure the tubes are free of glue or resin before pressing together or it may cause cracking. Antler is beautiful when finished, not to mention heavy. A few thin layers of CA will really help the shine last. I would also suggest trying to use pieces of the same rack together or the colors may not match up. Good Luck!

keithlong

I make a lot of antler pens, from slimlines to wall street II's and i love making them. I do use a carbide wood chisel and it cuts antler like butter and it is always cool.

Top Bottom