Turning Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all, I am new to the forum and it looks like a huge source of info, so get ready for my first set of questions.

I have been making pens (I make mostly Jr. Gents) out of AXIS deer antler for a while. It has always been my best seller. I am finding it hard to get ahold of this deer antler readily though and was wondering about turning WHITETAIL deer antler.

I've always been afraid to turn whitetail antler, because unlike axis, it is very curvy and porous inside.

So I was wondering if anyone has a good source of info for turning whitetail antler. I've read that you fill in the holes with CA glue. I've never done a CA finish, only wax, and have no idea how to go at this.

Also, where does everyone get their antlers?

I've seen some whitetail antler pens that look like marble, very high gloss, and I would love to make my pens like that.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I make lots of whitetail deer antler pens. I like to drill next to some of the curves because it allows me to keep voids of natural antler texture on the finished pens. I fill exposed marrow with ca glue and sanding dust from the antler to smooth it out. I also sand with micro mesh but oftem use a high gloss spray lacquer (3 coats). After a few days I polish with EEE polish paste. Leaves them looking like marble. I know there are many that do it different but this is what works for me. I get my antler from other hunters or roadkill deer. Talk to your local deputy sheriffs or police. They usually get first chance at roadkill. I often swap an pen for a couple racks. You might also check local meat lockers. Towards the end of season they have many small racks that arent picked up. Good Luck.

Hello all, I am new to the forum and it looks like a huge source of info, so get ready for my first set of questions.

I have been making pens (I make mostly Jr. Gents) out of AXIS deer antler for a while. It has always been my best seller. I am finding it hard to get ahold of this deer antler readily though and was wondering about turning WHITETAIL deer antler.

Also, where does everyone get their antlers?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

John,
I see you are from Texas... If you are anywhere near Jewett, Texas off I45 on Hwy 69 about midway between Dallas and Houston, there is a fellow there that sells antler from his game farm... I haven't been there in about 3 years... but last time I was there he had a very nice supply of antler.

He's at the Trade Mart, on highway 79, on the east side of Jewett... don't have the exact address right at hand.

rherrell

Whitetail polishes up beautifully with either MM or a buffer and really doesn't need ANY kind of finish.
If you run into alot of marrow put a few drops of thin CA on it and after it dries sand as usual.

jskeen

I turn quite a bit of antler, whitetail, axis, elk, sambar, as well as oxhorn, antelope horn, whatever I can get my hands on. Drop me a pm and let me know where in TX you are, We might be able to get together.

James

Top Bottom