Turning aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I recieved a piece of 3/4" round aluminum about 12" long and would like to try my first attempt at a metal pen. I need suggestions on how to turn this. Can I use my Sorby 3/8 spindle gouge or do I need special tools? What about drill bits?, anything I need to know about this? I'm thinking about a Wall Street II kit or something that only requires turning one tube. Thanks for your suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Hello! I have turned a bunch of aluminum pens.Now I don't know how others do it but I have the Rotondo carbide tip tool.And thats all I use with no problems.I use standard metal cutting drill bits and I put a drop of water in the end while I am drilling to keep the heat down.
Good Luck!!

toyotaman

Hello! I have turned a bunch of aluminum pens.Now I don't know how others do it but I have the Rotondo carbide tip tool.And thats all I use with no problems.I use standard metal cutting drill bits and I put a drop of water in the end while I am drilling to keep the heat down.
Good Luck!!

Where can you find one of those carbide tools at? I would love to start on this after Christmas.

Top Bottom