Turning aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

So got my carbide tipped tool in Michigan and now a chunk of aluminum......any last minute advice before I start playing with this stuff?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you segment use thinner pieces and cut them close to the size of the blank. If you leave a wing sticking out it will tear the blank apart. I read this in a book somewhere. :eek:

Rick P

My plan is to make my own hardware. I plan on offering both my own "kitless" pens and the production kits. I need more artistic freedom than the kits offer me or I'll get stunningly bored of turning pens very soon! As a warm up I think I'll start by turning an all aluminum slimm, just to get a feel for the material.

I should have been a bit clearer and your advice will come in very handy as I move on to other projects! Thanks very much!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Rick, are you turning this on a wood lathe? Get the smallest diameter stock necessary. That will speed things up a bit. Are you thinking of making nibs and finials too?

Rick P

Yes I am Chuck, a pen that is completely my own. I do intend to start off on my wood lathe, gonna be tough but then I love a challenge! I got some 1/2 inch stock today, that should cover most of my needs for now. The local supplier has it in 1/8th inch increments starting at 1/2 inch. I think it will be awhile before I try a fountain pen, roller ball sells better with my clients and it seems to be a good place to start.

Mapster

I would recommend turning it on the corner of the carbide. If you go straight on it chatters a lot. Get a good grip on it, get your hands clear of hot shards and turn away!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Rick, just FYI, johnnycnc has aluminum blanks already drilled, cut to length and champ-ford for certain kits. Here's one I made with some of them. In case you'd be interested in saving a few steps in the future.

Hope to see your pen when it's done.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 109

arcwick08

I have found myself recently contemplating taking the plunge into aluminum turning as well.... if one does not buy pre-drilled blanks, will HSS bits drill the AL?

Haynie

Remember those shavings will be hot and sharp. Wear a respirator when you sand. Where gloves, and watch out for long shavings that hold on, hey can catch your wrists and forearms pretty good.

I like turning aluminum it does not chip, crack or explode. Now I just need to make it pretty colors using Brad's instructions.

Top Bottom