Turning Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmiller

I've seen some of these beautiful pens with coke/soda cans segments. Can you use your normal turning tools or are there special ones?

Anything else you should know before trying one of these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I've seen some of these beautiful pens with coke/soda cans segments. Can you use your normal turning tools or are there special ones?

Anything else you should know before trying one of these?

Extra sharp tools and little bites. CA and Epoxy don't like heat build up and will allow separation of segments when heated to around 150°. The way to avoid this is small bites, and sharp tools. Keep sharpening them every couple of minutes or so. My two yen in opinions! :D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember the blank WANTS to blow up!! Aluminum will conduct heat, CA doesn't like heat.

With that in mind, do what YOU have to to keep your temp down and douse the blank frequently with more thin CA (accelerant is optional - I use it, I am NOT patient).

btboone

I imagine it makes sense to also sand the aluminum with rough sandpaper to give the glue something to bite on. Cans are very slick because of the ironing process it goes through during the extrusion to make them. Keep your BandAids out and ready.

kirkfranks

Regular tools.
Use a Skew Chisel, but use it at a skewed angle (not like a scraper). When you get close to finished size there is really only a verry little bit of aluminum left and it will try to pull out of its little grove it you use a scraping cut.:mad:

Top Bottom