Turning Alabaster questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

I am planning to try my first pen out of Alabaster. It is going on a Baron kit. I have a few questions for y'all more experienced with it than I. Should I paint the tubes, and if so what would be the best choice for paint if I was using CA to glue them? Do you finish it with anything? I like to do a CA finish, or should i just leave it natural, sanded out with MM? I am planning on having it engraved and color-filled, if that makes any difference in the finish question. I have read that it's best to finish and assemble the pen before engraving, any problems with that method?
I really appreciate any insight that can be offered, I would like to make a successful pen out of this material, it's for my cousins wedding. But I do have a fall back plan if I fail, but it's just not as cool as the Alabaster to me.
TIA,
Dave:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Yes you need to paint it based on the ones I've seen posted. What color depends on what tint you want to give to the alabaster. Blue tint with blue. Rose tint with red. etc.

GK

DaveO

Thanks for the tip Greg. Any suggestions as to what type of paint to use? I have never done anything where I needed to paint the tubes, and I am concerned that the CA used to glue them in place will affect certain kinds of paint.
Dave[:)]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Dave, I went to Walley World and bought several colors of their $0.99 (may be cheaper) spray paint. Haven't had any problems yet with the paint reacting with the CA (knock on wood).

rherrell

Hey Dave,
Like Mannie, I use white spray paint from WW also. I always let it dry overnight. I haven't been putting any finish on mine simply because it's rock,it's unique, and I think the feel of it unfinished adds to it's beauty and earthiness. I wish I had some more to turn but I gave my last one away to some guy over at NCWoodworker. Can't seem to remember his name but I'm sure you'd like him !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom