turning acryllics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

latech15

I have never turned any plastic. I recently bought two blanks to try out. They have square corners. What tool do you start off turning with to get them to round. I have a 3/8 spindle gouge, a 3/4 skew, a 1 1/4 roughing gouge, a 1" oval skew, and a 3/4 round nose scraper.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I use a 3/4 roughing gouge. If I recall others have had problems with a roughing gouge on some resins, but it has always worked for me.

gerryr

If you have a bandsaw, you could make a jig and cut off the corners(making it an octagon). If you have a sander you could sand the corners off. I've used both a round nose scraper and a skew to rough acrylic and lucite. Just be careful you don't try to take too much off in one pass.

imagine

I start with a roughing gouge. I have also sanded the corners on a belt sander. Whatever you do, Two things, SHARP tools and LIGHT touch. The plastics (acrylic acetate) are pretty easy to turn but the PRs (polyester resin) blanks tend to be brittle. If you get a grab with one of those they tend to blow up. But I wouldn't know from experience. [;)]

Rmartin

There is a saying in Golf that you should grip the club as if you were holding a small bird firm enough so it couldn't escape, but not so much as to harm it. Using this analogy, I would crank up the lathe to it's highest speed, and during the first few passes hold the tool as if you were holding a butterfly!

JimGo

I've done both. For materials I know to be brittle, and especially if I were a new turner, I'd probably hit the corners with a belt sander/disc sander/etc. However, you can turn it without doing that - but be sure to take light cuts.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by latech15
<br />I think I will try to cut the corners off and start with the skew and see what that gets me. I will let you guys know how it goes.

This is a GREAT technique. It works WELL. But it would not be where I would START.

Sand off the corners for a while and get comfortable with turning plastics that are ROUND, with your skew. As time goes on, progress to taking the corners off.

I believe it is easier with a roughing gouge OR a Big MOther skew. Controls vibration.

GOOD luck and remember, we're having FUN!!![:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom