Turning Acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

When using transparent acrylics is there guidelines as to what color to paint your blanks??? Do you just try to paint it the color of the blank or do you try to highlight by using other colors??? Do you get different effects with using different colors??? Is there a time when showing the brass is a good thing?? Thanks for the replys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
No. No/yes. Yes. Yes.
ROFL.
You can definately get different effects with different colors. IF I paint, I will usually go white or a color close to the lighter translucent color. Some colors (like one called Gecko) look better with brass because its yellow and green.

I don't paint as often now that i have the option of brass, nickel or black nickel for most of my kits. Buying the extra tubes in other colors makes it worth not having to paint, IMO.

hughbie

can i sneak in a question?

where do you get brass, nickel, and black nickel tubes? what kits do the tubes fit? i have several kits where i've ruined the tubes and i want to replace them.

thanks for the interuption

Ligget

I recently bought several tubes of artist acrylic paint, if I am not using the white or black on tubes I can mix colours together to match any blank. It is a lot easier than nail varnish I used to use.

mrcook4570

where do you get brass, nickel, and black nickel tubes? what kits do the tubes fit? i have several kits where i've ruined the tubes and i want to replace them.

CSU and woodcraft

And yes, two different colored tubes can result in dramatic differences in the same blank.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Sometimes I paint with a 'matching' color to one of the colors in the blank. However, I get very good results from using a completely different color on some blanks. For example, acrylics such as 'snow', 'sugar', 'opal', and 'coconut' are all two-white blanks. That is, two different whites where one stays opaque and the other is semi-transparent. Using a rich color (like ruby red, royal blue, etc.) looks great. Even two pens (same kind of kit) using the same blank, look completely different with a different inner-paint job.

BTW, when I paint, I paint both the inside of the blank, and the brass. That way there's a layer of paint on top of the glue which helps hide bubbles in the glue. Of course, having two layers of paint (and sometimes, nail polish) means I occasionally use a slightly oversized drill bit.

Have fun!

jkeithrussell

You may also be able to get by with simply adding some paint or pigment to the epoxy that you use to glue up the blank. I've done this with different levels of success and failure. Just be careful that the epoxy covers all of the blank.

Chasper

I usually try to match the colors but sometimes experiment. Adding some glitter to the paint or mixing it in with the epoxy is an interesting effect. Same the cut off ends of blanks and experiment.

I recently bought several tubes of artist acrylic paint, if I am not using the white or black on tubes I can mix colours together to match any blank. It is a lot easier than nail varnish I used to use.

I use the Testor model paints.. you can mix colors for different hues and also add to the epoxy when you glue in the tubes.

alphageek

Former Moderator

Yep - like the last poster, CSUSA for some and woodcraft for some... And if you want just brass - wherever you bought your kits should have some for sure.

Also I notice that woodcraft has some powder coat as well. I saw white last time I was there.

tomcatchevy

I like to use silver coloured automotive touch-up paint. It dries quick and seems to brighten up the colours of the blanks.

Top Bottom