Turning Acrylic Acetate (AA)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/plastic-106499/

the question was asked, how are the numerous types of plastic blanks different from each other. I gave a short (possibly terse) answer and I was surprised how much interest the thread got.

Our new librarian (and one of my good friends), Wayne suggested that we try to get answers that were "library-worthy" and incorporate this as an article. Honestly, I think that is such a good idea that I am starting a few of these threads and I will incorporate the information into an article for Exotics and make it available to the IAP Library.

So, lets start with this thread:

How would you describe turning Acrylic Acetate?
To me, it is the easiest of the "plastics" to turn, it is fairly dense and predictable to turn. It has a noticable smell, which some describe as an "odor", I don't find it offensive.

AA can be turned to size and sanded up to 1000-1500 and then Novus 3 and 2 can be used to polish. OR, it can be sanded with MicroMesh to 12000 and it will shine. OR, it can be buffed after the 1000 grit with Tripoli then white diamond---a third wheel can be added with jeweler's polish.

To me this covers "Acrylic Acetate" and "Acrylic"--anyone differ?

What are YOUR thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I honestly cant stand the smell of most acrylics.

That being said, once it's round it's a joy to work with. I don't put any finish on it, just sand with MM down to 12k. It is also one of the most forgiving with reverse painting, I think.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Derek,
Thanks for asking!!! I have "become known" for the use of the skew and, because I use it a lot I AM very comfortable with it.

Having said that, I firmly believe that the RIGHT tool is the tool YOU like. For nearly a decade, I turned with a roughing gouge---the results were, essentially the same. NOW, I find the skew easier, but it did take a lot of practice. So, use what YOU like--any tool will work, if handled correctly!

Ed

Joe S.

AA is easy for me to turn, and after doing some kitless work I realized just how nice of a material it its! If you break this stuff, it generally means you weren't cutting or scraping and you pushed it in too hard with a dull tool. It's easy to drill, after acquiring a gentle touch, I can drill through without blowouts and avoid the whole mess of sizing you blanks longer, not drilling all the way, then cutting to size. When cutting with a skew (my preference), it comes off in ribbons and resembles that Easter basket grass stuff, I have sometimes considered saving it!:biggrin: It's a good material to learn skew tactics on because you KNOW when your doing it right! The one thing I sometimes don't like about it is that most of the colors are "fun and cool", its harder to get something really classy out of AA, but if your not shooting for classy, it's my favorite material to use!

That's just what I think anyways.

Top Bottom