Turning Abalone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gvanweerd

I have a chance to get some Abalone shell strips. 1x5x.050 or so.

and i was thinking about using it as inlay. like as you would with veneers.
and i was wondering if you would see any color in the cross grain, after you polish it up. or would it stay white. thanks

ldb2000

No you wouldn't get the iridescence cross grain . It makes some awesome blanks in strips from 1/16" to 1/8" wide and then cast in resin . Make sure you use a good mask when working with any shells but especially abalone , the dust is real bad for your lungs .

gvanweerd

No you wouldn't get the iridescence cross grain . It makes some awesome blanks in strips from 1/16" to 1/8" wide and then cast in resin . Make sure you use a good mask when working with any shells but especially abalone , the dust is real bad for your lungs .

Thanks Ya thats what i was thinking that it wouldn't show color. I haven't tryed casting yet. But i'm thinking about trying it soon. Thanks Butch

randyrls

Gary; There are several places that sell abalone shell cast in resin ready to turn.
Arizona Silhouette, Woodcraft, and some others too numerous to mention.

Use caution with the El Grande, Sedona, and Churchill or any other pen kits with very thin walls. You will have to leave the tubes larger than the bushings/fittings.

Top Bottom