Turners Magic Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

designer

I would like any input on Turners Magic from WoodWrite. Since I am a newbie, I don't know how long it has been on the market so please take that into consideration with these questions. Correct me, straighten me out or just throw in your 2 cents worth. All answers are welcome. At least I will learn.

I assume it is a slower process than CA?
Does it gloss up less or as much or better than CA (the high gloss version)?
Will it last as long as CA?
Does it affect the wood color any?

I know a couple of the questions are kinda Wide Open questions but since I am new, I am not sure how to phrase them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

Q. I assume it is a slower process than CA?
Q.2 Does it gloss up less or as much or better than CA (the high gloss version)?
Q.3 Will it last as long as CA?
Q.3 Does it affect the wood color any?

A.1 It is quicker than CA.

A.2 The gloss version isn't as glossy as a good CA finish. But then again, I generally prefer a satin finish on my wood pens.

A.3 No, I found that it didn't last as long as a CA finish... but a lot better than other friction polish finishes.

A.3 No, I didn't that it changed the colour of any wood that I used it on.

Wade

zig613

Wade, it sounds like it is a middle of the road type of finish then. Not wax, but not CA. do I understand it correctly?

Yes, I found it not as durable as CA but much more durable than shellac based fricton polish (ShellWax, etc.). It is easy to apply and although I don't use it on pens any longer I still use it on some bottle stoppers.

Wade

corian king

Hello Allan!! I love this finish.it is very easy to apply and the pen I carry all the time for about 4 years now is done in this finish.I have never been able to catch up with the actuall maker he is very hard to get in touch with so I have been getting it from PSI.There are three different ones and I only use the gloss PKFRICT3.i found that the super gloss finish sometimes will actually dull the origanal finish.If you happen to find another way to reach woodwrite please let me know because it is about half the cost of PSI.
good luck!!!
JIM

MatthewZS

Pen weight....

Out of curiousity.... I see alot of discussion about the weight and balance of a pen in the context of serious pen collectors/users and it got me thinking. If I want to sell truly well made pens with every consideration given to the end users writing comfort, should I keep a small scale and weight my pens? What SHOULD a good comfortable pen weight? I KNOW it will vary but what ballpark am I aiming for? At what point should the decision be made that a pen is too heavy NO MATTER WHO"S using it?

Thank you.

monophoto

Turner's Magic is a lacquer-based friction finish. PSI sells their version for those of us "South of the Border".

And you can 'roll your own'. The standard recipe is one third lacquer, one third BLO, and one third lacquer thinner.

I've used it for a variety of things - mostly decorative pieces, but I have used it on pens, a key fob, and even a coffee scoop. CA is noted for its ability to build to a significant thickness - the positive aspect of that is that a CA finish can be exceptionally glossy, but the negative is that the finish tends to look 'plasticky'. A friction finish is in the wood, rather than a coating on top of the wood. Multiple coats will be glossy, but the tactile feel of wood is not masked by a plastic coating. The key fob was a great test - obviously, a key fob gets banged around a lot, and because the wood wasn't protected by a plastic shell, it did get dinged. But the appearance is still nice in spite of the 'honorable scars'.

designer

One last question then if I may. When turning and sanding, just go down to the bushings since there will be no accountable build up then?

The rest of my tools will be here today so I want to play (practice) before I actually make a pen for real. I may hit Rocklers and get a stopper kit to work on after I am comfortable turning. I think I will order the finish today then. Nothing to loose by trying and I can learn at the same time.

zig613

One last question then if I may. When turning and sanding, just go down to the bushings since there will be no accountable build up then? QUOTE]

I never noticed any concernable build up, unlike CA that when multiple coats are applied can build up.

Wade

zig613

CA is noted for its ability to build to a significant thickness - the positive aspect of that is that a CA finish can be exceptionally glossy, but the negative is that the finish tends to look 'plasticky'.

Louie...

To removed the appearance of that "plastic" look and "feel" apply 0000 steel wool after your last application of CA and MM sanding. This will give you a softer satin finish vs. the high gloss finish. The majority (99%) of the wood pens I sell I use this method. This way you have the durability of the CA finish without the high gloss "plastic" look.

Wade

RichB

I use it quite often. I had to learn how a little. I put 3 coats of the sealer then 2 coats of gloss or satin. It I put on more satin of gloss it seamed to take away the shine I had. I got mine from Wood Write but it was a while ago. It is fast to put on with no outstanding stink.

bgio13

I purchased the turners magic gloss sealer and super gloss polishes from http://www.woodwriteltd.com/supplies.htm a few years ago, so they have been around for a while. Unfortunately, for me anyway, the finish just didn't last. I put on two or three coats of the sealer and then anywhere from three to six and sometimes eight coats of gloss. The instructions say the finish dries instantly, and it does, but I don't think the item should be handled right away. It seems everytime i took the pen off the lathe the gloss seemed to disappear. I don't use lacquer as a finish but i know it requires a longer curing time, so I wondered if the turners magic needed to cure since it is lacquer. I ended up leaving the pen on the mandrel overnight but that didn't seem to help. All in all was never really happy with the finish. I now use CA as a finish and have not looked back.

Bill

Top Bottom