A Turner is Born

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Partyof5

Hey Guys,
This is my daughter Grace. She is 8 years old, and this is her making her first chips fly. We owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people for helping make this happen.
Dwayne of Woodcraft in Chandler, AZ for the tools, information, and a bunch of helpful advice. Buzzzz4 for sending her some nice blanks, kits, and a pen she loves. Also, Airrat and Jmhoff10500 for sending us some nice blanks. Thanks to all of you that made this happen. I am sure she will enjoy this for years to come.
I know I enjoy the time we spend in the shop together.

Attachments

• DSCN8266.jpg
    DSCN8266.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hey Guys,
This is my daughter Grace. She is 8 years old, and this is her making her first chips fly. We owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people for helping make this happen.
Dwayne of Woodcraft in Chandler, AZ for the tools, information, and a bunch of helpful advice. Buzzzz4 for sending her some nice blanks, kits, and a pen she loves. Also, Airrat and Jmhoff10500 for sending us some nice blanks. Thanks to all of you that made this happen. I am sure she will enjoy this for years to come.
I know I enjoy the time we spend in the shop together.

Wow, that's great so see...!

While it seems that she is doing well, I would suggest you to make her a stand about 4" tall where she can stand on as her right hand/harm is too low, making the gouge angle to be a lot more acute than it should as this would also minimize the possible catches the tool angle will provoke, probably scaring her from turning...!

From what I can see from the pic, the 4" should be ideal, I have no doubt that she will grow those 4" quicker than what you would like but at the moment, it would help her...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edward Cypher

I have 3 daughters and only one turns but it is a very special time for us. So enjoy it as long as you can. A little stair stepper will bring her up those four inches. That is what my daughter uses. We also used them at the woodworking show when I help at the Craft Supply area for adults and kids to turn pens.

Partyof5

Thanks for the advice on raising her up. I knew I needed her higher, but I wasn't sure how much. I was told once that you want the center of the spindle even with your elbow at the bend. Is that true?

robutacion

Thanks for the advice on raising her up. I knew I needed her higher, but I wasn't sure how much. I was told once that you want the center of the spindle even with your elbow at the bend. Is that true?

Well that can be truth to a lot of people but the length of the right arm for right ended persons, can make a difference also. In general, the hand holding the gouge should be as perpendicular as possible to the spindle center, this does reduce the strain and gives a more balanced movement to the cutting tool.

This is not, one size fits all but, it does give a starting point...!

Cheers
George

BSea

It's always fun to share hobbies with your kids. My son & I both turned our 1st pens this month. Of course, he's 25, but still it's fun to do these together.

BTW, nice shop. It looks a lot like mine. :)

reddwil

Just a warning, My daughter started about 3 years ago. I've bought more pink, purple, and bright flashy blanks than I care to admit. Not to mention the girlie pen kits from Penn State. Now we even fight over lathe time, and I'm considering buying her own. She already has her own tools, and a small clientele of school girls she sells to. But do I get any kick backs.......NO. I keep reminding her ITS MY SHOP, All I get is SO

Top Bottom