Turned with roughing gouge only

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

I was turning some Kingwood for Sierra pens today and while using a roughing gouge I found not only the finish to be very nice but I was able to get a very consistent shape from one end to the other so that is what I finished it with .I left the middle thicker than the ends. When I hit it with sandpaper it was obvious it was smooth end to end.

Usually using a skew or spindle gouge there is always some area that the skew has dug in more than the rest and sanding is needed.

I suspect the gouge being less pointed made for a smoother appearance.

Have others noticed this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

When I first started, I used my roughing gouge to completion on my pens. Sanding then took care of any uneven areas. I have been trying to hone my skills with my skew so I rough the corners off the blank with the roughing gouge and then finish with the skew. I know you can take the corners off with a skew but the roughing gouge works fine. I have found that when I use the skew just right, the finish almost doesnt need finish sanding.

Use what ever works for you. That's the beauty of working on your own.

kovalcik

You can get a very good finish with the roughing gouge, but with a bit more practice, the finish off a sharp skew will be even better. I usually take my blanks down close to size with the roughing gouge and finish the last bit with my skew. For me, the roughing gouge is nice because it is nearly idiot proof and the chance of an OOPS is low so I can almost go on auto-pilot for that part of the turning.

However, as mentioned above, whatever works for you is the right answer. If you are getting good results, stay with it.

ClutchCargo

I concur with those above. Since the majority of pen making doesn't involve coves and/or beads, I tend to use a roughing gouge to get to about 80% of the final shape. Then, depending on the pen blank material I'll either use a skew chisel or a carbide scraper for the final shape and finish.

BSea

I'm also one who uses a roughing gouge for about 95% of the pen. Then I'll mostly use a carbide tool to finish. But I really need to do more with my skew. Learning to get good with my skew is going to be my new years resolution.

Top Bottom