Turned last two with skew only

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

OK, last two pens of 18 ever turned and decided to try skew only. On one pen, decided I needed to touch up that one curve with the gouge I normally used and found that after two pens with the skew, I couldn't hardly use the gouge! Destroyed the original shape and went back and reshaped with the skew.

Love the control with the skew and have figured out how to make every shape I need with one tool. I am delusional in the difference between the two tools or did I just cross a line I may not be able to cross back?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I have a love-hate relationship with the skew. Definitely has its advantages

WriteON

Lately the skew is my best friend...if I could only have one tool that would be it.

I'd like to get a good quality carbide skew.... suggestions please.

randyrls

Lately the skew is my best friend...if I could only have one tool that would be it.

I'd like to get a good quality carbide skew.... suggestions please.

Frank; Carbide isn't a good candidate for a skew. The skew has to be scary, razor sharp, and carbide just isn't up to it. Much more important is how it is sharpened. A flat grind produces a long bevel that can you can ride. Hollow grind from a grinder is grabby because the bevel cannot ride on the piece. A convex grind is dull, but much more controllable.

I have a 12" disc sander with a 320 grit paper on it that I use for skews, and sometimes gauges too.

Like Mike Drake said, practice is the way to get to mastery of the skew.

Last edited:
Top Bottom