Turned to far

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

Has anyone come up with any way to salvage sections that have been turned below the bearing. I was working on a great maple burl piece and turned it a little too far, so now I have half a pen that is just right and the other half that is off just enough that it will look bad. Just wondering if it now goes to the scrap heap or if anyone has come up with a use for it. I'm sure that I'm not the first one to make this supid mistake.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Not that I've ever had to do this [;)], but you can make an "oops" band at the end that is shaped as a bead. Alternatively, if you're OK with a slightly wider "oops" band or if the wood is n't TOO far under the bushing/component, you can add a gradual taper down to the wood's dimension that may go unnoticed.

chigdon

When you said turned slightly below the bearing I assume you meant bushing? I have done this and built up my CA finish thicker right at that end so that it is flush with the bushing. You of course have to use a CA finish to do this and you don't want it too thick as it is more brittle.

leatherjunkie

if its a slim line or a european pen you can assemble that blank into a key chain.
i have done this before and was able to sell the key chain.

i have also broke a slim line blank and used the other piece as a key chain blank so i did not have to lose the blank.

jahlg

I had made a mistake with doing my first gentlemans pen, not a cheap kit, and was using black dyed box elder blank also not a cheap piece, my mistake was cutting the blank to short, got very P.O.ed at myself, then instead of pitching the whole thing, turned a body out of solid black acrylic, and the box elder for the top, came out beautiful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom