Turncrafter pro vs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

I just bought a Turncrafter pro vs from a friend of mine as a second lathe. It's much easier to turn small things on then my powermatic 3520.

The issue that I have with this lathe is with the tailstock lock and the tool rest lock. They are long levers that always seem to be in my way. I am trying to find start knobs that will fit this lathe. Does anyone know what size and where I might find knobs for this? I've checked all the local hardware stores without any success.
images2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Well they are made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight lathes.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/65000-65999/65345.pdf
Since you got it used you may not have the booklet this is basically the same one. Look on page 21 for part 6 and part 41 this is the locking assembly.

On mine there is a slotted screw loosen that, you will see a spring on the shaft, hold it so you don't loose it. Take it out and then pull the handle off, looking down the side that goes on the lock mechanism. You will see that there are v shaped notches all the way around the inside.

This handle can be moved so it is always out of the way in use. You will need to start out with both of them in the locked position. then adjust the holding screw till you can press the handle into unlock the clamp, then release and move the handle so it is out of your way. This is the same for both handles. if that isn't enough you can always shorten the length of the handles. on the harbor Fright ones they are plastic!.

It is easier to figure out play with the handles than it took to explain it in typing!
Hope this helps, no new handles needed! :music:
:clown:

BassBlaster

I have the HF version of the same lathe. I too would like to replace those two handles. The one on the tool rest for sure.

I see yours is VS. I wonder if theres a way to adapt VS to my HF version?

rizaydog

Thanks for the info. I do know how to move the handles and I have the manual. However, I dislike the handles way too much. Cutting them is a good idea. If I can't find any knobs, I'll cut the handles.

PTsideshow

Thanks for the info. I do know how to move the handles and I have the manual. However, I dislike the handles way too much. Cutting them is a good idea. If I can't find any knobs, I'll cut the handles.

Just keep in mind that the cam locking device that works off the v-notches on the inside has to be there on the knobs. if you real got to get rid of the handles. Get a couple of spares from HF make sure the new knob has a center that when drilled out will hold the center handle section drill the hole so the handle nub will fit epoxy it in and make sure the hold in screw and spring will work and you have new knobs to twirl!:wink:

Tom T

I have seen plastic at wood craft you can form or pour plastic handles or knobs if you break yours off on a machine. I would think if you can find the stuff and check it out first. Then cut you handles. Maybe make some slots or groves for the plastic to grip on, then pour your knobs. And hopefully it will work. May be know we're you can buy new handles if it does not work first.

BassBlaster

Am I missing something here? His picture is pointing to the handles that lock down the tool rest and lock the quill. Not the lock down lever for the banjo or the tailstock. I havnt had mine apart yet but these look like a standard bolt probably with a set screw type end on it with a plastic handle that is just way too long and is always in the way.

It seems to me, you could go to Woodcraft and pick up a couple of knobs with the proper threads and just use those instead. That was what I had planned to do but just havnt taken the time to figure out what the thread size is.

Last edited:
Well they are made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight lathes.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/65000-65999/65345.pdf
Since you got it used you may not have the booklet this is basically the same one. Look on page 21 for part 6 and part 41 this is the locking assembly.

On mine there is a slotted screw loosen that, you will see a spring on the shaft, hold it so you don't loose it. Take it out and then pull the handle off, looking down the side that goes on the lock mechanism. You will see that there are v shaped notches all the way around the inside.

This handle can be moved so it is always out of the way in use. You will need to start out with both of them in the locked position. then adjust the holding screw till you can press the handle into unlock the clamp, then release and move the handle so it is out of your way. This is the same for both handles. if that isn't enough you can always shorten the length of the handles. on the harbor Fright ones they are plastic!.

It is easier to figure out play with the handles than it took to explain it in typing!
Hope this helps, no new handles needed! :music:

Anyone knows if tailstock assemblies are interchangeable between this lathe and a Turncrafter Commander 12" VS? They look very similar. I am a real noob here but I think if they both run in the same width slot, then they should work. Or what else should be taken in consideration?
TIA

PTsideshow

Am I missing something here? His picture is pointing to the handles that lock down the tool rest and lock the quill. Not the lock down lever for the banjo or the tailstock. I havnt had mine apart yet but these look like a standard bolt probably with a set screw type end on it with a plastic handle that is just way too long and is always in the way.

It seems to me, you could go to Woodcraft and pick up a couple of knobs with the proper threads and just use those instead. That was what I had planned to do but just havnt taken the time to figure out what the thread size is.

If you remove the handle on the tool rest and the quill and look inside you will see the v notches that operate the cam lock which is the handle parts #6 and #41 on the parts list in the link, it isn't a regular bolt or screw. The handle slides over this and the bolt and spring keep it in place. See the link in my original post.

PTsideshow

I see now, allthough I dont understand how it works from the pic. I guess I need to take mine apart and educate myself!!:cool:
Just watch the spring on the shaft or the holding screw it is delicate and tends to hide very rapidly once free! :wink: with a flashlight look in the inside of the handle and you will see the notches. The notches engage the cam lock to lock or unlock the device it is holding both work the same way.

PTsideshow

Ok for general info and in case anybody else wants to change or modify these two handles on their lathe Buy Adjustable Handle with 5 16 - 18 Insert at Woodcraft

Since it gives the thread sizes and that this one is made out of nylon, which might be hard to get most glues to stick to. One can always pin a round type knob to the cone tower ratchet mechanism.

I came across this replacement while looking for the knob style as replacement upgrades on my band saw.

Only $4.19 each in case you want to practice on one before doing surgery on the ones that came on the lathe.

Top Bottom