Turncrafter 10" vs Rikon 70-105?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

newgenesis

I am a fairly new pen turner and I am looking to upgrade my Harbor Freight 10x18 lathe. Since they are both in the same ballpark price wise which would I be happier with the Turncrafter 10" from PSI or a Rikon 70-105?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If it's just between those two, I'd go with the Rikon. The tolerances are much tighter on the Rikon compared to the Turncrafter. I've had a 12" Turncrafter for a while and when I upgraded to the Rikon 70-220 it was pretty much night and day with the tightness of the Rikon.

tonylumps

I know it is a little more money than the 2 you are looking at.But I would go for the Rikon 220 VS.When they go on sale you save big bucks.I have the Rikon 70-100 and the 220VS The only reason I went for the 220 was the VS.Woodcraft sale should be coming up soon

TonyL

I have the 70-105; I use it as a buffing station but wouldn't hesitate to use it to turn pens,. I made it somewhat variable speed with a foot pedal (which is fine for the buffing station. I have no experience with the turncrafter. However, it appears to be well-rated and has a lot more features than the Rikon 70-105. I may talk to other users of the Turncrafter and see what they have to say. It is nice to have those other features. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/KWL-1018VS.html

I have the 70-105; I use it as a buffing station but wouldn't hesitate to use it to turn pens,. I made it somewhat variable speed with a foot pedal (which is fine for the buffing station. I have no experience with the turncrafter. However, it appears to be well-rated and has a lot more features than the Rikon 70-105. I may talk to other users of the Turncrafter and see what they have to say. It is nice to have those other features. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/KWL-1018VS.html

I could be wrong Tony, but I think since he's looking at pricing, he's looking at the multi speed 10" and not the VS. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/KWL-1018.html

I have the Rikon 70-050VS which is discontinued. Has a five year warranty. What is the warranty on the Turncrafter?

3 years

newgenesis

Thanks for all the inputs on this. Since the Rikons at Woodcraft are on sale I took the advice of some and invested just a bit more and purchased the 70-100 which gives me a bit more room to grow into other turned items if I so desire.

Now to wait for it to be shipped.

Got it for 10% off + free shipping couldn't pass it up.

JPW062

I'd never buy a lathe that was not EVS.
Or a drill press.
Get the largest EVS lathe your shop can fit. You won't be happy until you do.

tonylumps

Thanks for all the inputs on this. Since the Rikons at Woodcraft are on sale I took the advice of some and invested just a bit more and purchased the 70-100 which gives me a bit more room to grow into other turned items if I so desire.

Now to wait for it to be shipped.

Got it for 10% off + free shipping couldn't pass it up.

The belt location on the 70-100 makes it real easy to change.And you will not believe how quiet these lathes are.

tonylumps

How in the heck do I move the belt to change the spindle speed? Anyone know of a video or something?

Plenty of videos on YouTube I think Woodcraft has one also.If you can not find it on you tube The owners manual will help .Just open the belt door towards the left .Loosen the motor bracket lever And pull it up to slack the belt

tonylumps

How in the heck do I move the belt to change the spindle speed? Anyone know of a video or something?

Plenty of videos on YouTube I think Woodcraft has one also.If you can not find it on you tube The owners manual will help .Just open the belt door towards the left .Loosen the motor bracket lever And pull it up to slack the belt

Let me make it a little clearer on the belt door.put your hand on top of the headstock and pull down and to the left .This will expose all of the pullies.Upper and lower.

WriteON

Just turned my first pen with the new lathe and boy is it quiet. Now to figure out how to move the belt. :)

Unplug power or pull safety tab on power switch before moving belt.

Good choice in lathes. I was looking at a Turncrafter but they are massive and could be tighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom