Turn between centers advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom1697

I am going to take the plunge and try turning between centers. Most of the videos require a 60 degree live center and a 60 degree dead center. I have looked at several websites that sell pen parts and blanks, but have had no luck finding the centers. Where does on find these?

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The number 60 is not critical at all but seems to be a standard.

The only time you need to stick with 60 is if you are buying TBC bushings which are designed for the 60 degree shape.
However, I never did that.
I just mount my blank between two "points" which stick into small indentation holes that I drill in the ends of the blanks when I initially turn my blank round.

After you have drilled and tubed your blank, the 60 degree centers are a nice fit into the tube ends. But the 60 is not an important number unless you are using TBC bushings in the tube ends.

If you don't use TBC bushings as a guide to the final size of your blank ends, then you need to use calipers to measure the blank end size.

The dead center CAN have "prongs" (often four) on it to dig into the end of a wood blank, but it need not have "prongs".
A steb center has multiple "prongs" or points.

You absolutely need a live center in the tailstock and a dead center in the headstock.

The live center has sealed bearings to allow the workpiece to turn. . It can also have "prongs" or a circular ridge called a cup.

You can get both at PSI although their only dead center is called a spur center and it is much more elaborate and expensive than you need.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSET.html

You can also get at a tool shop or woodworking shop in your locality.

You can also get a live center from www.ExoticBlanks.com -

https://www.exoticblanks.com/60-Degree-Live-Tailstock-Center-choose-version.html

Here is a listing for a stebcenter, again, more expensive than you need .... just to give you the idea -

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49904&cat=1,330,49238

For basic, cheaper products, Harbor Freight or Grizzly should be able to help you .... also Woodcraft and Rockler at higher price.

You can even make your own crude dead center using a big fat spike (nail) (and file the pointed end to make it conical if you want).

Last edited:

ajollydds

I bought both from woodturningz a couple months ago. Dead center curt pointed out and live center that mal mentioned.

Silverado

You might want to go with a 60 degree Carbide tipped Dead Centre. Just google M2 carbide tipped Dead Centre on Ebay. Penn State has the 60 degree Live Centre as mentioned.

magpens

I did not know that Woodturningz had this dead center. . Does it have straight sides (not tapered for MT1 or 2) ??

If it is straight-sided, it is good to know about this ... thanks. . You can use it in a headstock chuck.

If you don't have a headstock chuck, then the lathe spindle probably has a MT tapered hole through it and you would need to look for a dead center with matching taper.

Last edited:

mecompco

Assuming you have MT2 in the head and tail stock, you can get a 60* live and dead center on Amazon for under $30.00 (Prime).

larryc

You can get both at PSI although their only dead center is called a spur center and it is much more elaborate and expensive than you need.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSET.html

Here is a listing for a stebcenter, again, more expensive than you need .... just to give you the idea -

Sorby Stebcenters - Lee Valley Tools

True the steb center is expensive but it really comes in handy when you have to turn that non square blank (think Jack Daniels). I bought mine several years ago and it is very useful.

TonyL

Tom...I do not know where you are in GA, but if you are near Alpharetta...you are welcome to come by and we will do some together. Many folks have been over; we always have a good time.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What many new pen turners do not realize that while you don't necessarily have to have a 60° live center for TBC (As Mal (MagPens) said), . . . However, IF one is using a mandrel, a 60° live center is a necessity or the user will soon experience the OOR (Out Of Round).

The metal cup/cone in the end of mandrels require the 60° center. If the center used that comes with many wood lathes is used, it will not seat well, and in the long run will cause wobble.

This was not the OP's question but if moving from a correctly used mandrel, one should have a 60° live center. There is a long history here of problems from not using a 60° center on the mandrel cup.

Talltim

I am going to take the plunge and try turning between centers. [/url]

Tom

Whatever method you use to get there TBC is worth the effort. It improved the quality of our turnings dramatically and reduced our frustration level proportionately.

Tim

Top Bottom