Turn between center bushings and respirator recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theHullTurn

Hi all, want to get into turning between centers. I have the necessary hardware minus bushings for this. Any vendors that you guys would recommend?

Also, doing more with CA finishes and just turning in general I am wanting to get a decent respirator. Any good solutions that you guys have that aren't budget busters?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

For TBC busings, I don't think you'll find any better price than:

https://www.lazerlinez.com/collections/bushings

Now, they don't have all of them, but for many popular pens, they are the answer. I have their Bolt Action, Sierra, Cigar, Slim, and Jr. Gent/Atrax/etc. and they are great--very precise, and machined from stainless steel.

You can also, if you want, center drill your "regular" bushings to add a 60* taper. I've done this for bushings I use "once in a while" and they work fine (well, except for the Slim--in that case, you NEED real TBC bushings).

Of course, you can also use standard bushings w/o adding the taper, but they will wear on your centers (again, you can't use 7mm bushings).

There is also now on the market TBC conversion bushings that go into your regular bushings and provide the 60* taper for your centers. I have a set, and they work OK.

There are other places out there that will make whatever TBC bushings you want, at a higher price.

Of course, you can also go w/o any bushing and just use your calipers. I prefer bushings, at least to get close.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

randyrls

Also, doing more with CA finishes and just turning in general I am wanting to get a decent respirator. Any good solutions that you guys have that aren't budget busters?

Jarvis; I just did a demonstration at our local woodturners club on using CA finish on larger items like small bowls and platters. I have mild asthma, so this is important to me.

The fumes from curing CA (acrid, biting) are dangerous over long periods of exposure. You become sensitized with long exposure. The symptoms resemble asthma or flu like symptoms. The reaction will get worse over time. Some members here cannot even be in the same room with CA and have abandoned it for all uses.

Now the good news. It is fairly easy to keep yourself safe. I position my dust collector hose behind the work area and it sucks all those fumes, sanding dust, and shavings into the DC bags (1 micron). A face mask rated for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) will work too. Even a fan blowing the fumes away from you is better than nothing.

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
Top Bottom