Turn between center bushings and respirator recommendations? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Turn between center bushings and respirator recommendations?

Hi all, want to get into turning between centers. I have the necessary hardware minus bushings for this. Any vendors that you guys would recommend?

Also, doing more with CA finishes and just turning in general I am wanting to get a decent respirator. Any good solutions that you guys have that aren't budget busters?

Thanks!

Probably in my garage turning, out on the golf course, or watching football (soccer)!
theHullTurn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know much about turning between centers, but this is the respirator I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to work pretty well so far. Can't even smell the CA or accellerant while wearing it.
thawkins87 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 7

For TBC busings, I don't think you'll find any better price than:

https://www.lazerlinez.com/collections/bushings

Now, they don't have all of them, but for many popular pens, they are the answer. I have their Bolt Action, Sierra, Cigar, Slim, and Jr. Gent/Atrax/etc. and they are great--very precise, and machined from stainless steel.

You can also, if you want, center drill your "regular" bushings to add a 60* taper. I've done this for bushings I use "once in a while" and they work fine (well, except for the Slim--in that case, you NEED real TBC bushings).

Of course, you can also use standard bushings w/o adding the taper, but they will wear on your centers (again, you can't use 7mm bushings).

There is also now on the market TBC conversion bushings that go into your regular bushings and provide the 60* taper for your centers. I have a set, and they work OK.

There are other places out there that will make whatever TBC bushings you want, at a higher price.

Of course, you can also go w/o any bushing and just use your calipers. I prefer bushings, at least to get close.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Bryan Nikita's will make TBC bushings if you can't find them elsewhere.
IAP: Nakitas
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 for Brian Nikitas - they are very precise. My fit is better because of his bushings.
mmayo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHullTurn View Post
Also, doing more with CA finishes and just turning in general I am wanting to get a decent respirator. Any good solutions that you guys have that aren't budget busters?

Jarvis; I just did a demonstration at our local woodturners club on using CA finish on larger items like small bowls and platters. I have mild asthma, so this is important to me.

The fumes from curing CA (acrid, biting) are dangerous over long periods of exposure. You become sensitized with long exposure. The symptoms resemble asthma or flu like symptoms. The reaction will get worse over time. Some members here cannot even be in the same room with CA and have abandoned it for all uses.

Now the good news. It is fairly easy to keep yourself safe. I position my dust collector hose behind the work area and it sucks all those fumes, sanding dust, and shavings into the DC bags (1 micron). A face mask rated for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) will work too. Even a fan blowing the fumes away from you is better than nothing.

Hope this helps....

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty

Last edited by randyrls; 08-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads