Turcrafter Pro Midi Lathe from PSI - Feedback?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I did a quick search, and only saw one comment on the Turncrafter Pro (fortunately, it was positive). I'm THIS close to buying it (I'd like to also turn some smaller bowls and vases), but before I do, I'd like some feedback. I bought my first lathe from eBay a few months ago; its an MCJ-500 (manufacturer uncertain), and the motor died on me a few weeks back. Now I'm stranded with about 100 lbs of wood (okay, bit of an exageration), and no lathe! SO, this time around, I want a lathe that has a warranty, and the 3 year one offered by PSI sounds pretty good to me.

Also, if anyone knows a small motor repair shop in the Washington, DC area (preferably Norther VA), the recommendation would be appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

- Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andy Ryan

Good morning Jim,
With motors that small it is cheaper to buy a new one vs. repair[:(!](4-5hp is the cut off).
I bought a Jet midi lathe and I am very satisfied [:D][:D]with is and you can get one $200.00 if you look around.

My first lathe a bougth for 35.00[:D] andd I used a motor off a furnace blower to power it. Dont use it very much any more though.[:(]

Gregory Huey

You may want to check into the Jet midi lathe it get very high reviews. I know I really like mine for those small bowl turnings,etc.
You probaly will find it cheaper to buy a new motor.

C. Scott

Jim,

I have the Jet Mini (non VS) and I love it. Now it's my first lathe, but I had used a friend's Craftsman prior to this lathe and the Jet is superior. Just one warning, Make sure the set screw on the tail stock wheel is TIGHT!

KKingery

OK - I guess I'm the guy with the Turncrafter Pro. I like it - course, I've never owned anything else. The motor is plenty powerful for what I do. Of course, the drawback (to some folks), is that it is'nt variable speed. That's not a big deal to me. Personally, I could'nt justify spending the extra $$$ for variable speed. Now, if you are going to mass produce or something, then of course, you may wish to consider variable speed. The Turncrafter is heavy, with solid feet so I don't get vibration, even though it just sits on my worktop (see photo in "show off your shop". Anyway - just my 2 cents worth.

Gary

I'll weigh in as another fan of the Jet Mini variable speed. I use the variable speed on everything I turn. It is well worth the extra money.

bassman00

I also own a Turncrafter Pro. I really don't have anything to compare it to but it's working fine for me. The price was right, the motor seems plenty powerful and it's heavy and solid. I've had it about 3-4 months now and it's gotten a good workout during that time. I would've liked to go with the Jet, but the price difference was big (at the time since I now see CSUSA sells the non-VS Jet for $199) and the features seemed pretty close.

If I ever need to upgrade or replace the TCPro, I'd probably go with the Jet VS.

GregD

I'm another Turncrafter Pro owner. It's well built and has plenty of power. It's done everything I've wanted it to. I used the Jet vs. It's a great machine. Maybe when I sell a few pens I'll be able to afford one. Until then the Turncrafter Pro works just fine.

JimGo

Wow, thanks for the feedback! I haven't been able to find a Jet for under $250 so far, which makes the $159 TCPro a much better deal for me, since I'm still new. Like I said, at least it has the warranty! :)

Has anyone used theirs for turning larger items, like bowls?

J. Fred Muggs

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ This link's to Craft supplies USA. Right on the homepage they have the Jet mini for $199 plus $35 S & H
Shucks! It's only money[:eek:)]

Randy_

The PSI rig only has 5 turning speeds(top end 3200) vs. 6 for the JET(top end 3900). Probably not a big deal for most people. They have the same size motors and look close enough in design that they could be built by the same company, although the Chinese have a "great"reputation for copying designs. One significant difference is that the PSI rig is 18" between centers vs. 14" for the JET. I'm a JET owner and quite satisfied; but would be severely tempted to buy the PSI unit if I were doing it over again.

KKingery

Randy makes a good point about the space between centers. And - not that you would need it for pens obviously, but the bed extension for the TCP is relatively inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom