Turbin Stylus Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I purchased 5 Turbin pens from Berea. Being the type of individual who does not ask his wife for directions and does not read instructions I have a tendency to screw up frequently. The instructions specifically say not to press the transmission putting pressure on the push button. Soooo not paying attention to the caution I pressed in the tranny with pressure on the push button. Needless to say I ruined 2 pens. My Bad. I made a little jig to to circumvent the problem like the instructions say. The 3 remaining pens worked out fine. I really like the kit. It feels a little strange at first not seeing the refill nib extended but one overcomes that after using it a short while.

Attachments

• 20150411_143537.jpg
    20150411_143537.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 20150411_143518.jpg
    20150411_143518.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for posting this, Les .... I have been wondering about the Turbin .... might now get a few .

Do you think you could leave off the pushbutton until the very end ? I am thinking this would avoid pressing on the mechanism.

Rockytime

Thanks for posting this, Les .... I have been wondering about the Turbin .... might now get a few .

Do you think you could leave off the pushbutton until the very end ? I am thinking this would avoid pressing on the mechanism.

Pressure on the push button will jam the tranny and renders it useless. The instruction specifically warned about this but who read the instructions. It does not say what kind of jig or device can be made. It just says you have to make something to press on the shoulder below the button. Also the tranny assembly must be made first. Then the assembly must be pressed into the upper blank. The instructions must be followed precisely or it will not work. However upon finishing the pen it is very nice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just as a "frame of reference", every pushbutton pen I have made has required a jig to keep from ruining the click mech during assembly.

(Frequently I am writing the instructions--I now expect this!)

Rockytime

Just as a "frame of reference", every pushbutton pen I have made has required a jig to keep from ruining the click mech during assembly.

(Frequently I am writing the instructions--I now expect this!)

I have had no experience with click pens being a fairly new turner. It is unfortunate that manufacturers don't explain or describe what sort of device needs to be made. I guess it does not take genius to come up with something. I certainly am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.:rolleyes:

RKB

Your jig looks like a good solution. I made my first turbin pen this past week. Liked the "funkyness" of it. The click mechanism seems to be a little rough and the tip of the refill seems to get hung up on the rubber stylus. Hoping it works it's self out with a little use. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Rick_G

The long click pen comes with a short aluminum tube to fit over the push button when pushing in the transmission. I've got 3 or 4 of them because I never seem to throw anything out. It would likely work for any of the other click pens as well.

Rockytime

The long click pen comes with a short aluminum tube to fit over the push button when pushing in the transmission. I've got 3 or 4 of them because I never seem to throw anything out. It would likely work for any of the other click pens as well.

Problem is the Turbin has the big bulb at the end which is only a few thousandths smaller than the shoulder. If an exact size tube could be found I'm sure it would work.

magpens

Why don't you try turning a hardwood sleeve to fit over it?
Len

Seems to me that the jig that Rockytime made and showed is an ideal tool to use when assembling the Turbin.

The metal assembly tube (jig) that comes with the Long Clicker has too big a bore (0.37") and would slip down too far, marring the top outer surface of the pen barrel and the clip of the Turbin. Good idea .. would require a smaller bore tube (jig) but see my next comment.

Making a hardwood sleeve would require sizing the hole extremely accurately and is probably not practical because, as Rockytime said, the bulb on the push button is only a few thousands smaller than the top shoulder (boss) of the pen. I say this even though the Turbin assembly instructions recommend this method (although they don't say how to make the "press block" or give necessary sizes).

A hardwood sleeve is the recommended method for assembling the Sierra Click pen and works fine because there is no bulb on the push button.

Not every pushbutton pen requires a jig, but it is wise to be mindful of the delicate nature of the click mechanism in all of them when assembling.

An example of a pushbutton pen that does not require a jig is the PSI Vertex click pen. For this kit the external plunger is the last piece to be added (see PSI assembly instructions). Prior to adding this piece it is quite safe to press on the top end of the pen (before the refill is in) as the instructions implicitly assume.

Note to RKB: Thanks for pointing out that the refill tip can get "hung up" on the Turbin stylus rubber. I wondered/worried about this possibility.

Last edited:

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
thanks for the jig! ,, i ordered a couple of the kits & was trying to come up with a solution

Top Bottom