tulip Wood Drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

I'm with Ruth. Used it quite a bit (no pun) and it has drilled well for me. WHats the issue; off center?, oblonging the hole?, dust not chips?, heat?. probably a dull bit, but need more info

M

monkeynutz

I have not had trouble drilling tulipwood, other than the bit will tend to follow the grain a little if you use angle-cut blanks. I think you may have a dull bit.

reddwil

I get dust and a lot of smoke, The first bit I used I suspected was dull, I went yesterday and bought 2 new 7mm brad points, and got the same thing. I drilled several other blanks and it went like butter. Could speed be the problem?

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by reddwil

I get dust and a lot of smoke, The first bit I used I suspected was dull, I went yesterday and bought 2 new 7mm brad points, and got the same thing. I drilled several other blanks and it went like butter. Could speed be the problem?
Possibly. Or you might not be clearing the bit often enough as you drill. Tulipwood is kind of waxy, and dust will clog a bit quickly if you let it.

THarvey

I have had a similar problem with Tulipwood.

I used a faster drill speed and slower down force, keep the bit cleared often. Your first statement sounds like the wax from the wood is overheating your drill bit. The heat will crack your wood (and dull your bit).

I keep my air gun close. A quick blast of compressed will help keep the bit cooler.

Very strange, I've never had a problem with tulipwood and I make puzzles from it as well as pens so I have a lot of experience with the wood. Sounds more like your drilling regime than the wood itself?;)

randyrls

I've given up on brad point bits. Use a regular twist bit. The brad point will not follow the grain, but will not cut wood end grain efficiently.

I went to look at my instruction sheets, but I didn't write the drill size down. I think I use a "J" or "K" letter drill bit.
I have one of those cheapie 115 bit sets sold everywhere.

Oh; and invest in a Drill Doctor. Sharpen your bits when dull. Some people swear by their Drill Doctor, some swear *AT* the Drill Doctor. Carefully following the instructions will get a bit sharper than new.

Hope this helps..

reddwil

Went yesterday and bought a regular twist bit and it drilled out fine. The new brad point I bought earlier in the week cut other wood fine. I think that it was like tharvey said and a lot of wax was built up on the bit, dulling it. Live and Learn. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom