Tucked away in an album

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I was paging through some of the newer photos and was surprised to find a couple of pictures of pens created by my "big brother." These are too nice not to be shared, so like any "little brother" I decided to post them. These are highly modified slimlines...he only uses the 7mm tubes and the Cross-type transmissions. All of the rest is handcrafted. Hopefully Jay Pickens will chime in and give us some details.

Custom%202.jpg

ParablePenBlkBkg1%20copy.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Lou, thanks for sharing that with us. I did see the snakeskin one as the feature photo just recently, but I never appreciated that they were modded slimlines. I thought they were another fancy kit you guys get ( that we can't ) The red acrylic is awesome, and I think I prefer that one. I just had a quick look to see some more of Jay's pics, but can't seem to find them. What is his 'handle'

I think I've just found my next source of 'inspiration'[:D]

Thanks

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jay even cast the red acrylic! His screenname on this site is jpick22 but the best place to see more of his work is at http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=pickensj&page=0 ... or you can visit a few of his fine creations at my house! [8D]

<b>Edit:</b> It has come to my attention that Jay may not have cast this blank. I'm not sure. If you visit his gallery at the link, you will see some amber blanks that I KNOW he cast. Hopefully Jay will clear things up, but I didn't want to intentionally mislead anyone.

jpick22

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Jay even cast the red acrylic! His screenname on this site is jpick22 but the best place to see more of his work is at http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=pickensj&page=0 ... or you can visit a few of his fine creations at my house! [8D]

<b>Edit:</b> It has come to my attention that Jay may not have cast this blank. I'm not sure. If you visit his gallery at the link, you will see some amber blanks that I KNOW he cast. Hopefully Jay will clear things up, but I didn't want to intentionally mislead anyone.
FIRST, THANK YOU LOU FOR POSTING THESE PICS. NOW WE CLEARLY KNOW WHERE THE "BRAINS" IN THE FAMILY WENT. I STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PICS ALONG WITH A TOPIC MESSAGE???

SECONDLY, the red pen was a blank I purchased (as have many others of our pen-making family ) from CSUSA (I think!). One of the most beautiful that they offer - I wish I COULD make a blank like that!!!

AND FINALLY, would like to clear up how long I've been in the IAP. I think that Jeff's (our "originator and creator") starting date is sometime in December, 2003 - my original "entry" was in January of 2004 - a few weeks later (the result of Scott contacting me and telling me about this "new site" of pen-makers). Due to circumstances, I couldn't be very active at first, tho I've been reading posts daily for all these years. My posts have been few and far between for one simple reason - I work from 6:00 am to around 5:00 pm (this includes a 35-mile drive to and from work each day) By the time I get home, eat and then turn on the computer and start reading posts, most of the questions that arise during the day and evening (that I might know anything about) have already been answered. SO, there is little reason for me to repeat some answer that has already solved the problem or question - and that really hasn't changed. I do want to thank Lou, William, Jeff (from his answers to new members on how-to do things) and Eagle, whose instructions on photography and posting pics I found a week or so ago. for offering how to do what I need to learn - posting text and pictures. Unfortunately, I haven't done it successfully yet, but I will- I'm almost sure of it!

I now have my album on the IAP with a few successful photos - I think I have that down and will continue to add more pictures. The album name is jpick22, if you care to look there.

I am always open to anyone who has a question that pertains to any of my pens - ALL OF WHICH ARE SLIMLINE MODIFICATIONS - NOW FOR OVER 5 YEARS - that's all I make - probably over 600 by now and all "originals" from that underrated little slimline. Eagle has tried to get that message across for years - the flexibility and freedom of making just about any shape - any design imaginable on the slimline chassis. I don't think that either of us has had much success thus far in gaining "followers.

If after looking at any of the pens on my album here - or on the PMG gallery (Lou gave that url a few posts up), I will be happy to try and answer whatever you might want to know.

Thanks - and sorry for the long-winded "chime-in".
Jay

Snazzypens

Jay, When you say a fast rotary tool on your bullet cartrides is that like a dremel? They are beautiful. You are really talented. Oh before I forgot. I do hope you turning again not still in pain?
Toni

jpick22

Morning Toni-
I use the Powercrafter (think that's the name) - it's been a long time since my last use. Another popular make is the Turbocrafter. They are both air-driven, ultra high-speed handpieces (400,000 rpm) that are powered by an air compressor. The bits are dental-type and are available from the Turbocrafter.com site and other places on the web.

The Dremel turns at maybe 18,000 to maybe 30,000 (don't remember exactly), but quite slow in comparison. Truth is that these turbo powered handpieces can cut through wood (for inlays) or brass casings, like a hot knife through butter - NO vibration - smooth edges and an absolute pleasure to use, once you learn how fast they cut.

And thanks Toni - getting a little better VERY SLOWLY, but any improvement in getting me standing at the lathe again, is a GIANT improvement.

Jay

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />Jay, When you say a fast rotary tool on your bullet cartrides is that like a dremel? They are beautiful. You are really talented. Oh before I forgot. I do hope you turning again not still in pain?
Toni

jpick22

Toni - well, I just looked for Turbocrafter.com and there didn't seem to be one- may have forgotten the actual name; however, I did look up the model I use (Powercrafter) and here is the tiny url that will take you there. http://www.powerairtool.com/

Both the units are quite similar except for the fact that the Turbo(whatever) does NOT require constant oiling, as does the Powercrafter does, thus making it a bit less expensive as I remember.

Somebody who owns the Turbo(whatever) can give you the proper name and site, I'm sure.

Anyway, you'll get all the info you need to see and understand what this high-speed cutting is all about.

Jay

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />Jay, When you say a fast rotary tool on your bullet cartrides is that like a dremel? They are beautiful. You are really talented. Oh before I forgot. I do hope you turning again not still in pain?
Toni

jpick22

Thanks, Russ - It finally came to me this morning.
You can also go directly to their own site at www.turbocarver.com

Today, I might make my choice the Turbo-Carver, rather than the PowerCrafter. They both are the same size, same speed - pretty much identicle in their funtionality EXCEPT the TurboCarver doesn't require constant oil lubrication, as does the Powercrafter. Powercrafter is done manually, by removing the air supply hose - squirting a few drops into the line, replacing the line and going on down the road. OR, Powercrafter offers an "in-line" oiler to continuously meter the proper amount of oil whenever you are cutting. $125 or so! If interested, look at both systems.

Jay

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />It is called the Turbo-Carver, and information is available here:

http://www.toolcenter.com/TURBO-CARVER.html

Darley

Thanks Lou to showing those pens, Beautiful Jay, I do have a question, on your second pen the snake and olive wood ( I presume ) did you use a ring for the CB ? or did you engraved one with your power tool. Thanks

jpick22

Morning Serge -

The centerand was nothing more than aluminum tubing (1/2" outer diameter). The design was nothing more than a small (can't remember actual diameter) "ball-end" end-mill cutter. It was done using a small milling machine, but I see no reason why the "dimpled band" look, couldn't be achieved using the same type cutter in a drill press - then, a final buffing.

A person doing this with a drill press would have to come up with a jig that could be turned a specific angle for each "dimpling" and then advanced to the next position, etc., etc., etc. Like using a chuck(for the tubing piece, placed into a Rotary Table).

Jay

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Thanks Lou to showing those pens, Beautiful Jay, I do have a question, on your second pen the snake and olive wood ( I presume ) did you use a ring for the CB ? or did you engraved one with your power tool. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom