tubes moving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Wade

I glued the brass tubes into the drilled blanks the other day and last night began the process of dressing the ends down with the proper tool. The tubes moved down the blank and as a result ruined the blank by allowing the tool to cut too much of the blank.

What happened.

Has not happed in the past and happened 3 Xs last night.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
A few thoughts as I don't know what you used for glue. A few years ago I used to use CA to glue the tubes in. I had this happen numerous times, mostly due to the heat buildup from the trimmer. I switched to using 5 minute epoxy and have never had the problem again. Were you using a wood blank or acrylic?

Justturnin

Too much heat or not enough glue. When I glue my blanks I use Epoxy but I have also use Thick CA. Either way I have excess glue pouring out of each end that I scarpe off w/ a skewer. Better to use too much and have $.05 woth of waste than to use to little nad lose a $5 blank and your tubes.

Don Wade

I used thick ca glue the way i always have. I was working with oily wood, ebony, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Maybe I should switch to epoxy

Jgrden

Don, that friggin' Ebony causes more trouble. I am going to follow another gents suggestion and dry the stuff in our microwave before drilling.

Top Bottom