Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gjoffrionjr

As far a tubes do is it better to purchase the tubes already cut or buy the stock tubes and cut yourself? If cutting yourself what is the bet tool to cut the with? If purchasing cut tubes where is the best place to get the best selection? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When you buy a pen kit, the tubes for that kit are included. If you happen to mess one up........er, I mean, if you should misplace one of the tubes, I believe all of the suppliers sell spare tubes for the individual kits. Additionally, I know that PSI and Woodturningz sell 10" tubes in 7mm, 10mm, and (I think) in 8mm. Having said this, however, I would strongly suggest that, at least for a while, you purchase only precut tubes, so that you can be assured that the ends are "square" with the walls of the tube. If you DO choose to buy the longer ones and cut them yourself, be cautious that you don't crush the end of the tubes, that they are square to the walls of the tube, and that you deburr them so that the components will be accepted.

mrcook4570

You can also get brass tubing in various lengths and diameters at many hobby stores. The advantage to this is that you can modify the length of a pen and customize it. When I use tubing, I let the barrel trimmer do more than just kiss the brass. This ensures that it is square.

almer

Originally posted by gjoffrionjr
<br />As far a tubes do is it better to purchase the tubes already cut or buy the stock tubes and cut yourself? If cutting yourself what is the bet tool to cut the with? If purchasing cut tubes where is the best place to get the best selection? Thanks
I use the little miter saw cutter fr harbor frieght,has about 2in blade,cuts real smooth

Fred

I might recommend that not all brass tubes are the same wall thickness. It would be wise to check, and double check the I.D. (Inside Diameter) of the tube, and if necessary adjust the drill hole if the O.D. (Outside Diameter) is off a little bit. Take a twist mechanism with you to the hobby store and 'test' fit it to the tube in question.

An investment if a digital micrometer would also be a good thing to add to your tool chest. That way you can get an accurate measurement and not take the pen parts) with you and possibly lose it in the process. [:D]

gjoffrionjr

Thanks everyone for the info.

Almer I think I will purchase one of the mini mitres from Harbor since we just one of thier stores in town this week. Looks like the machine I need for the job. Been using a small arrow cutter similar to a pipe cutter but it doesnt do a good job with the tubes.

Thanks again everyone.

Narwhale

Tubes can be purchase in long stock lenghts from some places and most of the kit suppliers have extra kit tubes already cut to the correct lenght.
I find the kit tube replacements very handy and keep them in my shop. If they need cutting, a sharp skew makes short work of them and then I file the end inside and out while still turning on my lathe. (Using stub jaws on a chuck to hold tube.)
Rich S.

Rmartin

I use a simple plumbers tube cutter. Small ones can be found in any hardware store for five dollars or less. They will crimp the ends, but I usually cut a bit longer just as I would do a blank, and then square the ends.

Randy_

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />I might recommend that not all brass tubes are the same wall thickness. It would be wise to check, and double check the I.D. (Inside Diameter) of the tube, and if necessary adjust the drill hole if the O.D. (Outside Diameter) is off a little bit. Take a twist mechanism with you to the hobby store and 'test' fit it to the tube in question.

An investment if a digital micrometer would also be a good thing to add to your tool chest. That way you can get an accurate measurement and not take the pen parts) with you and possibly lose it in the process. [:D]

How do you measure tube IDs with a micrometer??

Fred

Yep, it was definitely a senior moment. BTW, what's is that?

I had both a caliper and a micrometer in front of me at the time and definitely wrote the wrong thing. Good thing I was looking at my semi-naked girlfriend out by the pool. Goodness knows what I would have written then ... Ahhhhh, but life is good. [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom