Tube and resin question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi I have an idea for a pen but my question is. What I want to do is layer the tube with precious stones. I am thinking opal because I have access to opal mine just out of town and the miners just dump the chips and that what I was going to use. My question how can I set it in the tube in resin. I know I am going to need to bung up the end. What would you suggest for the ends?
Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Interesting idea.

You can use a slice of potato to plug the ends. Just push the tube over the potato slice like you were using a cookie cutter.

jeff

its_virgil

Toni,
You can use the same technique I use for my snake skins. Take a look at the snake skin tuorial on the home page. Last picture on page 4. Also take a look at this pen done by Jay Pickens. Abalone chips glued to the tubes and cast in polyester resin. http://tinyurl.com/gcgnk
Goog luck and show us the finished pen pictures.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />Hi I have an idea for a pen but my question is. What I want to do is layer the tube with precious stones. I am thinking opal because I have access to opal mine just out of town and the miners just dump the chips and that what I was going to use. My question how can I set it in the tube in resin. I know I am going to need to bung up the end. What would you suggest for the ends?
Toni

Randy_

Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />Interesting idea.

You can use a slice of potato to plug the ends. Just push the tube over the potato slice like you were using a cookie cutter.

jeff

At the rate I make pens, most of the potato would go to waste. I save my candle scraps and melt them down. Pour the wax into a flat, foil-lined pie plate or whatever is handy and let it harden..... 1/8" thick is about right.(3 mm±) When the sheet is plugged out, you can recycle the remainder into a new sheet. I'm still onm my first sheet!!![:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I don't know what type of "kit" you are going to use, but have you considered gluing your stones on a powder coated tube and laying up the thickness with CA?
One thing yuou will need to consider is keeping the stones below the final thickness of the resin.
This is something I have been playing with in my mind using anothermaterial other than stone but as difficult if not more to turn.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I would use thick and apply it it thin layers using the bags that come in the kits.
Iurn a plastic"fid" for each end of the tube and set it up in the lathe turning it by hand.

Skye

On ebay I got like 50 silicone corks for like $2 or something.

Keep in mind, you'll have to fill the tubes with something like BBs to make it sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom