Tube reamer ????????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not a Pen Mill.
I have seen a "pen assembly tool" somewhere that you would use to put a chamfer on the end of the tube after milling.
Someone mentioned they got one at Rockler but I can't find it on their site.
A1/4" step drill is what I have been using for slim lines but the sizes aren't accurate for all tubes.
Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Eagle, I am not sure if you are talking about cleaning the inside end of the tube, or actually putting a chamfer at the very end of the tube, like a 45 deg angle.

To clean inside the tube I use a .246" drill, which is the size D letter drill.

To chamfer, I use a countersink, the one used to make flat head screws flush with wood. I put a tap handle on mine.

Hope this answer your question.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eagle,
This is a SWAG, but are you talking about the reloading tool BB sells to true up the ends of tubes? It can be used, apparently, to clean the inner surface at the end of the tube as well as reshape the outer surface if you are reusing a tube. It is listed on his page for, I think, 16.95.

G

I'm looking to Chamfer the brass.
My mills are "peening" over the brass occasionly.Ithe 1/4" step drill is great for the slimlines but the larger sizes are hit or miss.
Even with CA for gluing up tubes,I rarley get glue in the tubes.
The peening thing is a pain because in order to get the mill out of the tube you have to loosen the set screws and pull the shat out.
I remembered reading that Rockler had them for about $5.00 I just can't find it.
I've tried fred's sanding trick by reversing the mill head but the paper loads up quickly on plastics and bone.
Definitely looking for another way.

tipusnr

Why do you chamfer the end of the brass tubes? We are talking about the tubes glued into the blanks aren't we? I've never heard of nor seen this done.

G

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />I'm looking to Chamfer the brass.
My mills are "peening" over the brass occasionly.The 1/4" step drill is great for the slimlines but the larger sizes are hit or miss.Even with CA for gluing up tubes,I rarley get glue in the tubes.
The peening thing is a pain because in order to get the mill out of the tube you have to loosen the set screws and pull the shat out.
I remembered reading that Rockler had them for about $5.00 I just can't find it.
I've tried fred's sanding trick by reversing the mill head but the paper loads up quickly on plastics and bone.
Definitely looking for another way.

Tip-see above in red

G

Wdcav-
That wasn't what I was thinking of but it will work fine and actually be benificial on the casing pens.
Thanks for thinking of it.

dougle40

Eagle,
Have a look at what I've been using for my mandrel , it works great and cleans out the inside of the tube as well as taking care of any burr that might occur .

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3172

J. Fred Muggs

Eagle:
I use what the machinists call a rota-bur. It's a handle with an offset hardened cutter that rotates as you rotate the handle to deburr/chamfer the metal. Look at http://www.travers.com go to page 902 of their catalog. Model NN-100 is what I have. Costs $7.75 and works like a champ. You can order from them on line, or, in your case, you could just run up to Spartanburg, exit 63 off I-85, they have a store there. I'm sure other machinists supply type places around Columbia would carry similar devices as well. It works well on deburring any metal and the blades last forever, especially when used on brass tubes.

timdaleiden

I have never used or needed a chamfer tool. On my set of pen mills, for the larger size pilot shafts, there is a slight transition taper that can be easily removed. If it is not removed, it could allow brass to be peened inward.

I also polish the pilot shafts with 400 then 600 grit sandpaper on my drill press with the cutter removed. Adding a bit of vaseline before milling makes things go more smoothly too.

woodpens

This is what I use. I bought it at Arizona Silhouette. The price is $11.95. Personally, I chamfer the ends after using the pen mill and before putting on the mandrel.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Chamfering_Tool.htm

Chamfering_Tool_web.jpg

Inside_web.jpg

Outside_web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom