Tube Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Arbetlam

Ok this is the first time i've asked for help. This is my situation i have 2 blanks of curly maple with paduck glue to one end (7mm tubes). When i went to glue the tube in one of the blanks it went in 1/2 an inch and set. That suprised me haven't ever had that problem before. So i figured i would just put a second tube in from the other end ------- 1/4 inch and set up. Now my question is do the tubes need to go all the way through the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At one-quarter inch, you are going to have difficulty squaring and putting hardware in securely. It would be a better approach to drill those out and put in one tube.

Most probably, you either were attempting to put the tube in a blank that was wet (did you use water to cool while you were drilling?) or hot (did you just finish drilling, dry and the blank was still hot). Both heat and water are accelerators for CA and can make your tube "stick" prematurely.

BTW, Paduak is going to leave reddy-orange sawdust in your maple when you go to sand your pen. If you have done this before and know how to overcome it, no problem. If not, make a different combination.

FWIW,
Ed

kovalcik

The tubes do not necessarily have to ge all the way through (though they do add strength to the wall if you trun them thin) but 1/4" is probably pushing it a bit. Dribble acetone into the hole until you can get the tube out. Redrill the hole to make sure it is clear. If the fit is still tight, consider thick or gel CA which have longer working times or 5 min epoxy.

Arbetlam

That is what has me confused, i did use thick ca and ididn't take my time inserting it either. i will admit it was a rather tight when i did a dry fit.

plano_harry

You will never have one lock up with gorilla glue for wood or epoxy for plastic, but I do like the instant gratification (usually) of CA. :)

Harry

longbeard

This is why we use 5 minute epoxy. I too learned the hard way when i first started on some 8mm twist bullet pens.

Harry

its_virgil

I must agree that epoxy is a much better choice for tubes than CA. Some woods will make CA set MUCH quicker than other woods. Moisture is also a factor. One wood will work fine and then the next blank will be a problem. 5 minute epoxy and turn in 15 minutes has never produced a problem for me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

And this is why I use epoxy.
Lin

Hendu3270

I use CA and this has only happened to me once, (knock on wood). I just didn't have everything set and ready to slide the tube in. On a humorous note, (now anyway), During that glue up, I glued the other end of the blank to my middle finger of my left hand. I was in pannick mode trying to get the tube in when I felt it start to stick, and couldn't really do much about it because the whole thing was stuck to me. :rolleyes: left some skin on that blank...

Top Bottom