Tube prep question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

Just use your best judgement, PSI sells a lot of kits with pre-roughened tubes that all you need to do is glue then into your blanks, if you don't think they're rough enough, hit them on a bit of 100 grit on a hard backing--I use a SandDevil with a 100 grit belt on it for roughing my tubes--takes seconds.

Lucky2

Another newbie question:

I know the tube should be sanded to roughen up the surface before gluing into blank. I get a lot of tubes that comes with a roughened surface. Do these tubes still have to be sanded before gluing?

No, you don't have to sand the roughed up ones, you would probably sand them smoother then they already are.
Len

Tim'sTurnings

Jim, no matter which way you prep the tubes do not forget to dry fit them into the blanks. Many times, if I forget to test fit the tubes into the drilled blanks they get stuck during the gluing process. In my experience, when the drill bit gets too hot while drilling the hole for some reason the blank has smaller sections and gives problems during assembly. I don't know how or why, but I hate that, it really makes for some added problems.
Tim.

keithncsu

I used to always sand the smooth tubes before use, but never did any cleaning other than wiping down with a shop rag (dry). Eventually decided that was easily my least favorite part of the whole process and decided to stop sanding tubes. Still no cleaning, not even a wipe with a rag. I'll also admit that I don't always test fit the exact tube I'm going to use. I'll usually drill several at a time and test fit with a tube but it isn't the EXACT tube. I'm not that OCD about it. Until I get burned one time, then I would probably re-think that process. Either way, no known issues for me after stopping the sanding.

KenV

I use dental wax to block the ends of tubes and noticed that a residue remained on the ends of the outside of the tubes. A wipe with solvent or a quick swipe with 120 grit abrasive and a wipe with a paper towel removes the contamination.

I correlated some chipping at the ends on occasion with wax contamination. Cleaning the ends and the chipping stopped. Not statistical, but only takes a few seconds.

Top Bottom