tube painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I picked up some Krylon paint to paint tubes with. Three questions. Do you need to use CA glue instead of something like Gorilla glue so you don't hide the tube coloring? Do you still rough up the brass tubes? Seems to me the paint would smooth it back out. Do I need a larger hole drilled?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

Sand the tubes after you paint them. Gorilla glue will expand, so be careful what you use it with. Thick CA glue should do you fine. The sanding doesn't have to show the tube, the scratches help the glue grip better.

witz1976

this is why I paint the barrels rather than the tubes. #1 you are removing the paint and revealing new brass scratches. #2 I found that on some really translucent blanks you can see the glue. I also prefer epoxy as it does not have the possibility of reacting to the paint, unlike CA

ctubbs

Sand the tube anyway. It gives the paint some 'tooth' to hold onto. It is a good idea to clean the tube with a solvent to remove any oils, lube, etc. that could cause the paint to come off. Just an old body man from another life.

Charles

Lenny

Another option is to use the black or silver tubes.

When I use the regular tubes I paint both the inside of the drilled blank and the tube, then glue it with epoxy that has been tinted with just a drop of the paint.

DurocShark

I haven't painted a tube in a long time. I paint the drilled hole. Looks MUCH better than painting the tube, plus you don't risk the glue bubble look.

Another tip: If you, like me, already have a toaster oven in your shop for casting and such, you can oven cure the paint and use it in an hour. Otherwise, wait at least overnight before gluing the tube in so the paint doesn't melt into the glue.

I've used all the glues with painted holes. No problems as long as the enamel is fully cured.

I used to use spray paint, but now I use Testors model paints. Lots of colors, easier and cleaner to apply with a q-tip.

Top Bottom