Tube Oxidizer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightal3

A few days ago I read a post re using an oxidizer to balcken tubes. Did a search today but unable to find the post. Looked at several stores this morning for an oxidizer but couldn't tell them what it was or who made one. Can anyone point me to the original post please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I use Liver of Sulphur on copper based stuff. It's essentially rocks of sulphurated potash, and yup, it stinks like rotten eggs. It's available at jewerly and art supply stores. You add a couple rocks of it in water and mix it up. I use a plastic medicine bottle. It works best when heated, so I heat it for 15 seconds in a microwave. Just dip the brass in it for around 10 seconds and it's done. I do the Shakudo (gold copper alloy) in my mokume gane ring inlays this way.

alamocdc

Originally posted by wrightal3
<br />Billy,

What did you not like about the Black-it? I've tried paint and sometimes I don't get a good glue bond with epoxy.

I didn't get the result I was looking for on the tubes and it limits me to one color. I've only had epoxy fail on a painted tube once and it was because I didn't rough the tube up enough.

BTW, the Blacken-it has been claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom