Tube insertions tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Do you guys use this tool? It gives me fits. The dang thing gets glue all over it and won't release the tubes at times. I'm sure most of it is just me, but I've started just using my fingers and it seems a lot faster then playing with that thing. Anyone have a better way? Thanks!

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I normally glue up a bunch of blanks at the same time. I use the second tube to push in the first and then follow that along. The last one gets pushed in with a toothpick.

G

I use a taper punch.CA glue,
I have a couple.when they get "glued up" I throw them in a jar of acetone,
I've tried waxing them and it works for a couple,not worth the bother.
On larger tubes I use a pair of needle nose pliers.

tipusnr

I've never used anything but my fingers. If the glue squirts out too much I finish by pressing the end against the wax paper I let the blanks dry on. Every now and then I have to stop and clean the CA off my hands but, that's life! When I start using gorilla glue I may have to rethink this though.

Scott

I have one of those insertion tools. It's OK. Since I started wearing Nitrile gloves when I do my glue-ups, I just push the tubes in with my finger now. I mostly use Poly glue (Gorilla Glue), and the gloves are a lifesaver!

Scott.

WoodChucker

Ok thanks everyone for the suggestions! It sounds like I need to just get a little more time on the job. [:D]

Another question, do most of you use (not sure what it's called) that wax stuff that comes in the little sheets and you use it to plug up the end of the tubes so that the glue doesn't get inside? Do you plug both ends and does the wax come back out without any problems? Thanks again!

R.T.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
R.T., The wax is called baseplate wax and is used in dental lab procedures. BB sells it for 25 cents per sheet. I use it all the time and swear by it. Once the glue is set and you are ready to turn, I use an Exacto knife or a metal rod to clear out the tube. I have a steel rod that I use as a homemade disassembly tool, and pass it through the blank to pop out both pieces of wax. Early in my learning process, I overheated a pen mill why reaming out poly glue, and glued the blank to the pen mill. Fortunately my Mama wasn't near by with a bar of soap! Anyway, try baseplate wax. Give your dentist a pen, you'll probably score a lifetime supply of wax, not to mention some nifty drills for your Dremel tool.

William

Fred in NC

It is called plate wax. Another tube plug is a POTATO. I don't bother, I don't have much problems with that. I also have a size "D" drill with a wooden handle. It is a few thousands under 1/4", and I use it to clean the inside of the tube if necessary.

Scott

I use the Base Plate Wax, and lately I only plug one end. Where I use the Poly glue, and I apply it by swabbing it into the hole in the blank with a q-tip, a certain amount of the glue gets pushed ahead of the tube when inserting it. That, of course, is the end of the tube I plug. The other end doesn't seem to foam out as much, so it doesn't hardly get in the tube. Then I have one of those D drill bits that I run through the tube before using the pen mill (barrel trimmer).

Scott.

William Young

I have that insertion tool and I think it is just great. Never get a spot of glue on my fingers. I use two part epoxy for glueing unless I am in a hurry and then I use thick CA. That stainless steel tapered shaft is easilly cleaned by scraping it with my jack knife . Using it with epoxy is no problem . Using it with CA is easy if I have my scratch awl right there while inserting the tube. I push and twist the tube in and then hold it there with the tip of my scratch awl while removing the tool. Usually just a little sideways rocking action will remove the tool but if it doesn't , I use the scratch awl. I keep an old rag handy and wipe thet tool off after every insertion to prevent glue buildup on it.

I have never had to plug tubes with anything yet but I feel that the time will come when I will wish I had of after reading the problems that some have had with glue getting inside the tubes..
W.Y.

Fred in NC

Originally posted by GregMuller
<br />This may be a newbie question but what is a "D" drill bit.

A 'D' drill bit is a little under 1/4".
1/4" = .250"
D = .246"

For SAE drill bits, there are two kinds of sizes:

Fractional drills, like 1/4", 5/16", etc.

Number and letter sizes:

Size 80 bit is .0135", VERY small.
Size 1 bit is .2280", a little bigger than 7/32"

Then the letter sized bits start with:
Size A bit is .234"
Size Z bit is .413"

Larger bits than Z are all fractional sizes.

A chart with drill bit sizes, screw sizes, and the corresponding taps and dies can be found at:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/taps-drills.htm

Hope this helps !

wayneis

I agree with William, I also use the tool and with a little gentle rock it just pops of. I think that you may be pushing the tube on too tight. I also use the baseplate wax because I think it saves a little work later on in the whole process. Its just the way that I do it, everyone after a while developes their own methods for all of the different steps of making a pen.

Wayne

WoodChucker

Some pretty neat tricks, thanks everyone!

Fred, the link on drill bit sizes is helpful, thanks!

I was having a problem with about every 3 or 4 pens I made, I was getting blow out (for lack of a better work) at the ends of the blanks while turning, the wood would come apart and expose the brass tube. I finally figured out what it was. Before reading any farther see if you can figure it out. In fact, lets see who can guess what the problem was and then I'll post the answer if no one gets it. And don't worry, I won't think any less of anyone if ya don't figure it out [:D] , I know there's probably a dozen things that might cause it. But what the heck, it gives ya something to do. [:D]

If ya need more info, just ask.......Cheers

R.T.

WoodChucker

Holy Jingles, first reply and he gets it right. Boy, I won't try and stump you again. It took me a week to figure it out and I had the thing sitting right in front of me. [:I] Nice call there, Drew. Now I know who to come to when I'm having problems. [:D]

R.T.

Scott

Dang it Drew! I was going to guess "Toxic Waste" as the culprit, and you had to go and get the right answer the first time! ;-)

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom