Tube Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dabeeler

I have always used CA to glue in the brass tubes and have noticed that fast drying two part epoxy is now being recommended by some suppliers. What type glue do you use to glue in the tubes?

Second question, has anyone ever tried to mix in a coloring agent such as maybe food coloring when mixing the epoxy for use with acrylic blanks?

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I use epoxy and mix in colors for all my acrylic blanks with no problem. I use the same material as I made my blanks with for the colors.

soligen

I use gorilla glue. Some here will point out that the the foaming action does not really fill gaps since the foam doesnt have much structure, but I have had way fewer failures with gorilla glue than CA or epoxy.

On the one and only failue with gorilla glue, the glue was fine. I had painted the tubes, and it was the paint adhesion that failed.

I also find that due to the foaming, gorilla glue is easier to clean from inside the tubes than the other choices.

If glueing plastic blanks, I wet the inside.

jttheclockman

I have always used epoxy and to date have never had a failure. I use System#3 epoxy. Yes you can tint with just about any powder. Remember a little goes a long way.

Chasper

I use 90% CA and 10% epoxy. The failure rate on either is virtually zero. I use CA because it is faster. When I glue tubes I'm usually gluing 50 or more. If I used 5 min epoxy I would have to stop and mix over and over and it would slow the process down drastically. I have used 30 min epoxy but it is open so long and with the slightest movement tubes slide out of the ends.

No problem with putting coloring in epoxy, I use a few drops of Testors, nail polish, enamel paint, mica, whatever I have that is the color I need. For either epoxy or CA I paint inside the drilled holes and not the tube.

Top Bottom