Trying to retain color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Hi everyone.
Is there anything that can be done to help retain some of the original color in the woods?
For instance, I have been working on some Purpleheart. When you trim it, or cut it. It is such a neat color of purple. But then turns a brownish color as you are turning it. I wish there was something I could do to help retain the color in it.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly lend an ear.
Thanks
Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Ican't believe you posted this!
I just wrote an e-mail to Ilikewood this morning about the same thing!
There was a thread in the tips section about turning purple heart cranberry.
Hopefully he will have some answers.
I have turned PH in the past in it turned out great.
I did one Saturday and wetsanded with BLO and it is a beautifully turned brown pen.
I haven't assembled it because I haven't CA'ed it yet.
MAybe the cranberry treatment will make it more pleasing to me..

ilikewood

Sorry Eagle, I had to run out the door at 5am this morning and didn't get a chance to check my e-mail. Thought I would let you know that I am not ignoring you, just late getting out of bed![:)]

OH yeah, put the purpleheart in the direct sun...it will go back purple again over time. The brown look will fade to a more beautiful purple, but slower because of any finish you put will slow the reaction of the air to the color pigments. I am not speaking because I'm an expert on it, just because that is what others have said and of my own experience.

C_Ludwigsen

I'm so glad this posted!!! I too turned a PH pen this weekend and was bummed when it faded to brown while sanding. I'll give it the sun treatment over the next couple days and post a before and after pic.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Normally I dont do the "me too" thing, but I swear - I turned two pens this weekend both PH...
and was searching around for the same info I had read here earlier...
is it maybe because its almost cranberry season :)
hopefully not because its almost Halloween..
at least here in the U.S.

G

If I hadn't of seen it I would not have believed it!
I haung the pen outside for a couple of hours today and it changed
already!
It was wet sanded with BLO and MM and the "finish" is beautiful.
The Manager at Wood Craft once told me that purple heart would turn brown in sunlight.
One more reason not to go back there!

Gary

Here's some info on purpleheart that might be helpful to some:

"One of the most distinctive woods in the world, purpleheart is prized for its very unusual deep purple color. When freshly cut, this dense hardwood is light brown. Within minutes the surface turns an astonishing bright purple. Upon prolonged exposure to sunlight, the color gradually changes to a chocolate-purple color."
(From Tropical American Tree Farms)

Purpleheart Peltogyne spp.
"Straight grain; moderate to coarse texture; deep purple, maturing to a rich brown after long exposure. Accepts finishes well; lacquer preserves the purple color; alcohol-based finishes remove the color"
(From Encyclopedia of Wood)

I bought some purpleheart a few days ago that is a deep, bright purple color. I also have a piece that has been in my shop for over 20 years and it's a deep chocolate brown.

knottyharry

Thanks for the reply.
In Gary's post, it says that lacquer preserves the color. What do you do with it? Do you dip it. Then turn it?
I will also try the sun, and see how that comes out.
Thanks again.
Harry

ilikewood

Drew is right...long term aging always turns the wood darker. PH will return its bright purple in a few hours of sun. A few weeks may return it to brown like the guy at Woodcraft said, so what he said is valid as well (they do have some pretty good stuff, just a TAD bit pricey).

Lacquer slows the aging down by preventing air from contacting the wood. Nothing any more special than that. CA will probably do the same thing, but I haven't personally tried it yet.

woodspinner

Turn and sand the barrels but do not finish. Set them in the sun, on their ends, so the light gets to all sides. When the return to purple do your finish. If you use a UV protectant exterior finish it will retard the color darkening.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

William Young

Great topic with lots of usefull ideas. I just posted a picture today of a purpleheart and maple one where the purple is more on the brown side. Yet some I do are very purple. I love doing purpleheart pens. The ladies seem to be the ones that buy them first.
I'm going to try the sun exposure before applying my WB laquer finish next time to see how it works out.
Thanks for all the great advice.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom