Trying for a perfect pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eric

This is my problem, hopefully someone can help. First, when I was applying a ca finish I seemed to have reaped some metal dust from the bushing in. I tried to sand back down but it looks like it stained the wood. Next when assembling there seems to be a little overlap from the ca at the ends of the barrels which prohibits a clean fit with the pen kit parts. Should I sand the ends before assembly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is my problem, hopefully someone can help. First, when I was applying a ca finish I seemed to have reaped some metal dust from the bushing in. I tried to sand back down but it looks like it stained the wood. Next when assembling there seems to be a little overlap from the ca at the ends of the barrels which prohibits a clean fit with the pen kit parts. Should I sand the ends before assembly?

Sand the ends before assembly? - Yes!

Sanding dust on blanks? Several ways to solve this, but each requires some dedication, funds, or change in method.

1. Some people make a nylon washer from a butter tub lid or similar. This allows just enough space to sand to the end and not touch the bushings . . if you are real careful.
2. There are delrin bushings available that can be used in place of regular bushings for final sanding and for CA application.
3. Use Between centers (mandrel-less) and take the bushings off (or use delrin) and finish sanding then apply CA.
4. Get some calipers and do your final sizing by measurements instead of relying on bushings for sizing.
5. I know you are not at this point yet but I will mention it in case you want to try/practice - a very sharp scraper and high speed on the lathe with a fine touch and you can bring your blank to size with a smooth enough finish without the need for sandpaper. You still need calipers to determine the sizing. Some people do this on segments where metal dust is hard to eliminate. This (scraper) only works on hard wood - not soft wood.
6. Some people use denatured alcohol to clean the dust off. I had trouble getting it clean enough for me - but I was using holly.

glycerine

Yeah, denatured alcohol and a toothbrush does a good job for me to clean the blanks. BUT, prevention would be the best bet, so use some of Hanks tips to eliminate the problem in the future if you can.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
i have found that using black sandpaper when finishing caused that problem, at first i thought it was bushings too

I find that too, especially on the 600. It also seems to melt into the CA
finish for some reason. The 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 don't do this.
For that reason, I stop at 400 and move onto MicroMesh now. The bushing
dust is a slightly different color

Top Bottom