Trying to get Started???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtalbert

I have been trying to get started turning some pens. At this point I am brand new at pen turning, but have turned a few other items in the past.

I posting some pictures along with questions if you have time to look and maybe give some advise It would sure be welcome.

I'm using a table saw and cross sled to cut my 3/4 by 3/4 blanks to size. This seems to take quiet a bit of time to set up, but works good.

20071117164451_671023527110_0_ALB.jpg

I made myself a vice to hold the blanks to drill from a cross vise I got from harbor freight. This may not be the best idea as the drill bit is drifting to the left. I think the vice is holding the blank ok but for some reason its drifting. Any help here?

20071117164720_471023527110_0_ALB.jpg

20071117165018_588853527110_0_ALB.jpg

Im using a ShopFox mini lathe to do the turning, and Im sure at some point I will need to upgrade this. Im also using a old set of knives I had when I was working with a Shopsmith, and they are in good shape.

2007111716490_698853527110_0_ALB.jpg

I am going to try and use a 12 disc sander to square the ends, and make myself a jig to get it square Still working on this.

I turned this maple blank just to see if I could and here is how it came out. Not exactly uniform but close. I'll have to get better.

2007111716525_419853527110_0_ALB.jpg

Anyway, that is where I am at this point. I have some slimline pen kits on the way and I'll just have to see what happens

Thanks for all the good information I have gotten from this forum

JT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fuzzydog

JT, looks like your off and running and the questions will just keep coming but this is a great bunch of guys and gals and they are all very helpful. If you don't already own the disk sander you might want to invest in a barrel trimer, handy little tool that produces consistant results. And you will find all types of devices to help your budget.
About your bit drifting, what type of bit are you using. I use bullet bits or brad point and that took care of the drift for me.
Welcome
David

jtalbert

Hello David,

Thans so much for the advise. I do already have the disc sander, but I think I am going to invest in the trimmer. From what I hav read this looks like the way to go.

Im using what I call a brad point bit. I may be trying to rush the drill and it may be that I need to adjust the drill press table. I thought I had everything lined up but I guess not. The bit didn't run all the way out, but didn't drill straight through either

JT

fuzzydog

JT, try using a center punch or a nail that you have ground down to being round at the tip and put a dimple in the center of each blank. That might keep the bit from wandering and drill slowly and clear often.
David

toolcrazy

I never worry too much about being dead center on some of my blanks. I have even miss drilled some stuff and it turned out nicer than dead center stuff. If I need dead center, I drill on my lathe.

Looks like your on the right track. Keep it up.

airrat

Did you check with a square to see if your drill bit was square to the "table", then is the bottom of the vise from Harbor Freight square? The found out my table was not square one day, still cannot figure out what may have bumped it from the day before. Now I check it more often.

Drill bits, not to start a favorite war, but I tried brad points at first, had blow outs, drifting and just was not satisfied. Could have been just me but whatever it was I did not like them. I bought some Norseman bits and have been happy. If you are interested in those keep your eye on the group buy section, working on that.

GBusardo

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />I never worry too much about being dead center on some of my blanks. I have even miss drilled some stuff and it turned out nicer than dead center stuff. If I need dead center, I drill on my lathe.

Looks like your on the right track. Keep it up.

Thats happened to me too. I have also shimmed my vise to get a little bias cut look to jazz up the blank. Drilling dead center isonly important if the blank is on the smallish side for the kit. I like the sled set up!!

GaryMGg

James,
This may or may not be part of the problem:
Take a coat hangar, mount it in the drill chuck and bend it (sorta Z-shaped) so that it just touches the outer edge of the drill press table. Now, rotate the chuck by hand.
Does the hangar just touch all the way around the press' table?
If not, there's typically a set screw under the table at the front which allows you to refine the adjustment.

richstick1

One thing I picked up on from your photos is that your live center appears to be a standard woodturning live center with a cup and cone - the point on that live center is more than likely NOT a 60 degree point. The mandrel you have there IS a 60 degree point. I'd highly recommend you invest in a 60 degree live center so that you match up on the tailstock end of the lathe, otherwise you will get a good amount of wobble/play/runout at the tailstock end. Otherwise, that lathe is good enough for turning pens - I'd put that fairly far down on my list of needs [:)]

jtalbert

I sure do appreciate all the help. I have some pen kits arriving in the mail this afternoon, and I am going to try and make one tomorrow morning.

I have not tried the coat hanger method, but I'm headed to the shop now with coat hanger in hand. I have done everything else that I know to get it lined up. I have been using a square and checking all four directions and to my eyes it's lined up with the bit at that point. The drill is still drifting, not all the way to the edge of the blank, but for sure off center.

For now I believe I will try the disc sander and see if it works for me. If not I will invest in the barrell trimmer when I place my next order.

Thanks also for the tip on the 60 degree live center. Mine is in fact a cup and cone woodworking center that came with the lathe. I have one found online and will put in an order for that also.

Thanks again for the help you guys are great.

jtalbert

The Coat Hanger did the Trick!!!! The Table was high on the Left side as you face the DP

Here are some before and after pictures.

Top and Bottom before adjustment

2007111921528_Top%20View%20Before.jpg
<br />
2007111921610_Bottom%20View%20Before.jpg
<br />

Top and Bottom View After Adjustment

2007111921642_Top%20View%20After%20Adjustment.jpg
<br />
200711192187_Bottom%20View%20After%20Adjustment.jpg
<br />

I would have never thought of the Coat Hanger. I have always checked with a small square right at the bit and never across the entire table. It was just off a smidge but sure made a big difference when I put the vice on top and tried to drill the blank.

Thanks a Million!!!!

Here is a shot of the tailpiece center I have. Thanks for the link to the 60 degree center. It looks like a excellent product

20071119211250_Tail%20Piece%20Center.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom