Trustone Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

Ok, this is likely a newbie question (or two)...

I was attempting to do my second Trustone pen (Chrysocolla), first one made it to assembly, and when pressing the cap on, I cracked the tube.

On my second attempt, here is where the question(s) come in...
When turning Trustone, with a skew, do you get to see ribbons? I ask because I was getting them with my 1 inch skew held on angle and pushing.

I guess my second question are there any thickness requirements? for success? My first pen attempt was a Nouveau Sceptre, fairly thick ends. This one on the lathe as we speak is an Executive, much thinner...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Most cracking is caused by one of two problems, either the inside of the tube was not clean or you pushed the cap in crooked. If the cap went in straight there was probably some glue inside the tube, or possibly you squared the end with a mill and the brass turned in slightly.

If your skew is sharp enough and the angle is right you will get nice ribbons. There is no minimum thickness, I've used truestone on all types of pens.

Brooks803

The Chrysocolla is one of the harder trustones. When I turned my majestic with it I got more of a powder than ribbons. That could have been due to my tools not being as sharp but it still got the job done. Also, thickness isn't a problem. Like Gerry said make sure the tubes are clean and the parts are lined up straight when you press your peices in.

KenV

If you are working with brittle materials, tight fittings or a hard push is cracksville wanting to happen - if not right away down the time line a ways.

Ream the ends of the barrels to a finger tight snug fit and use purple locktite to set the fittings. Why purple - you may have to take it apart some day for refinishing or replacement. Why Locktite - easier than epoxy and does not outgas like CA - and easier to clean up.

randyrls

I was attempting to do my second Trustone pen (Chrysocolla), first one made it to assembly, and when pressing the cap on, I cracked the tube.

Scott; Chrysocolla is one of the hardest of the Trustones. I would take the advice offered by the posters and in addition, consider gluing the blank with Polyurethane. PU has some give to the glue joint.

Make absolutely sure the inside of the brass tube has a chamfer on it and is squeeky clean. Run a brass barrel brush thru the tube.

Added later: You may want one of the carbide tipped tools called a Woodchuck or similar. I can't touch the chrysocolla with my skew..:frown:

Last edited:
Top Bottom