Trustone Cracking during Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

Ok, so I have been turning some trustone lately and the last 3 pens I have made have ended up cracking during assembly. The components went straight into the tube. They werent crooked or anything. I usually never have any problems with cracking during assembly with wood and acrylics, it's just the trustone.

Is this something I'm doing? Do I need to make the male part of the components smaller so it doesn't expand it as much?

Fortunantly I was able to recover two of the pens by filling the cracks.
Thanks in advance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hey Stuart,
Been there, done that. Trustone is brittle and cracks easy. I use a dremal with the small sanding drum on the inside of each end untill the mating part is almost a slip fit. A drop of loc-tite will hold it really good and no off gassing fumes from ca glue putting that white film on everything inside the pen. Hope this helps.

Gary Beasley

The brass tube does expand significantly when a component is pressed in so if you want a tight fit without locktite, which is a good solution by the way, you need to ream out a little room in the truestone on each end to allow room for the expansion.

StuartCovey

Hey Stuart,
Been there, done that. Trustone is brittle and cracks easy. I use a dremal with the small sanding drum on the inside of each end untill the mating part is almost a slip fit. A drop of loc-tite will hold it really good and no off gassing fumes from ca glue putting that white film on everything inside the pen. Hope this helps.

Ok, I figured something like that would be the solution. I will try that.

Thanks

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The brass tube does expand significantly when a component is pressed in so if you want a tight fit without locktite, which is a good solution by the way, you need to ream out a little room in the truestone on each end to allow room for the expansion.

Although this WILL work, the downside is it increases your risk of having a "catch" as you do final turning to diameter. Be aware of this and, I suggest, do "fine tuning to final diameter" with sandpaper.

Top Bottom