TruStone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drgoretex

Hi all. Not sure if this is in the right subforum, but suppose it will be moved if not.

Wondering about your experiences with TruStone. Have turned a number of these, and just recently noted that one I gave to my wife has a dulled finish. Glosses up a bit when buffed with cloth, but not like it was when I made it. I usually finish it to 12,000 grit, and get a beautiful glossy finish, but now wondering if this finish lasts long, or if I need to start putting a finish coat on top of the TruStone.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

Whaler

I have done a lot of Tru-Stone and my carry pen is Tru-Stone. So far I have not experienced any dulling problems.
I started out wet sanding to 12000, plastic polish and a coat of Ren wax. Now that I have the Beale 3 wheel system I sand to 600 and move on to the Beale wheels and finish with a coat of Turtle Wax Ice. I am happy with both methods but find the Beale system faster.

JimMc7

I've turned several types of Tru-stone/Gemstone blanks and Imperial Jade is the only one I've had a real problem polishing. I applied a CA finish and the polished CA finish has held to date (about 8 months).

Which Tru-stone are you having a problem with?

drgoretex

The one I made for my wife is the webbed turquoise. Lovely stuff, and polished beautifully, but with use has dulled quite a bit.

I suppose I really should make myself a couple of TruStone pens and use them for more personal experience, but whenever I make one, I end up selling. I just like the wood or wood/stone combinations better. And I LOVE the feel of the good heavy CA finish.

The issue was really that I was polishing them but not applying any finish, thinking that they would be fine without, like the acrylics. But I guess not. Perhaps I will start CA finishing.

Top Bottom