TruStone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattmck

Quote from Top Gun: "Your mouth is writing checks that your body can't cash". This may apply to me.

I was visiting a customer (ala my REAL job) and he took a shine to my new Jr Statesman II in Antique Black/Gold Acrylic. This guy is a real history buff/American Indian collector, etc. He asked me if I could make a pen for him out of petrified wood he picked up somewhere along the way. That got me talking about TruStone, a material that I have never turned, EVER.. Shortly after my brilliant sales pitch (that's what I do for a living), I was walking out with an order for 3 Tru-Stone Statesman Rollerballs (turquoise, Lapis, and Jasper). Yipee!! Oh Crap!!

I have searched this fine forum and found some scary posts regarding trustone, but also a fine photo of a successful endeavor by CSU's own Nils.

I started this thread in hopes that others might learn from my 'mouth shootoffery', or maybe even learn from the mistakes of others on how to turn this stuff. (oh, and that I might be able to crank these guys out without too much mayhem)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Matt,

I have turned the TruStone material, (sorry no pix)and had no real problems. The only one I used was the Turquoise, and I did notice if you were making a small pen that most of the figuring turned away, leaving a rather plain blue. Perhaps it was just the one blank I had, I can't say.

Sharp tools, light cuts, wet sand, finish with plastic polish, and a coat or two of TSW would be my advice for what it is worth.

BTW, good job on the sales.

JimGo

I've turned it too. As William advised, make sure your tools are sharp and take gentle cuts (preferably with a scraper), and you'll be fine. I also recommend sanding down any square edges before turning, to reduce the likelihood of chipping/cracking. The MicroMesh for Corian and other synthetic materials works really well with this, as does the plastic polish William suggested. Haven't tried TSW on it, but that's a good suggestion too.

Welcome, and good luck with your pens! Be sure to post pics!

wayneis

I've turned quite a few different Tru-Stone blanks and as long as you get the stone from Craft Supply you should not have a problem. There are a couple other sellers out there that have some nice stuff but you really need a Dremel tool set up. Do as William said and you will be fine, as long as you buy it at the right place.

Wayne

Paul Russell

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I've turned quite a few different Tru-Stone blanks and as long as you get the stone from Craft Supply you should not have a problem. There are a couple other sellers out there that have some nice stuff but you really need a Dremel tool set up. Do as William said and you will be fine, as long as you buy it at the right place.

Wayne

I have turned a lot of TruStone and second Wayne's statement about getting it at CSUSA. The Turquoise comes out very well. I have also tried a eBay vendor (Was_h_i_ta Blade and Tool [remove the underscores]). Their blanks are extremely hard and take 5 times the effort (and tool sharpenings) to turn.

It is true that sometimes a blank doesn't have enough blank lines and can end up with simple blue color, but this is rare.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All good advice. I have shattered MANY of these blanks (usually NOT from CSUSA) and can only emphasize-SAND OFF THE CORNERS BEFORE TURNING. After they are roundish, they are MUCH LESS likely to "blow up" on you.

Good luck, it does make a nice pen!! Buy some extra blanks.

Fangar

Here is a True Stone Lapis. I Got it at CSUSA. Nice finished product, though I was a little dissappointed in the lack of gold flecks that this blank had in it. Some are far better than others.

trustonelapisbaron.jpg

Fangar

Mattmck

Ok, here they are.. no catastrophies. I agree that it is very hard to photograph the lapis properly. The Turquoise and Jasper were fairly easy to turn- they seemed almost celluloid-esque. However, the Lapis.. Hard as nails. Cut-Cut-Sharpen. I left my grinder running on this one. The Lapis, in person, is exquisite. I am going to attempt to get a better photo that highlights the gold a little more. Thanks for all the tips folks!

200512415139_statesman%20trio%20lr.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom