True stone for dummies (dummy being me)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Hi, i recently ordered some tru stone. Hasnt come yet, but i relize i have no clue what the h#!! im doing. Ant tips (drilling, turning finishing) greatly appeciated. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Go slow and use water when drilling. Tru-stone heats up fast (some faster than others). I have always used my Woodchuck to turn then (a carbide tipped tool), but I know you need sharp tools and it will dull them fairly quickly (again, some more than others)

Also be prepared for fine colored dust everywhere... and I do mean everywhere. :biggrin:

biednick

Go slow and use water when drilling. Tru-stone heats up fast (some faster than others). I have always used my Woodchuck to turn then (a carbide tipped tool), but I know you need sharp tools and it will dull them fairly quickly (again, some more than others)

Also be prepared for fine colored dust everywhere... and I do mean everywhere. :biggrin:

Thanks, fine colored dust doesn't bother me mutch lol. I was planning on using my woodchuck anyway as its my favorite tool. Any finishing tips?

jchurch

I don't use water when drilling because of the mess, but I go very slow on about 550-600 rpms and let the bit cool frequently. I've never broken a blank yet this way. Get a carbide tool from one of the sellers hear on IAP and you'll be one happy camper. I just sand through 1000 grit and then Micro Mesh to 12000 followed by a little Renaissance wax and they look awesome.
Good Luck!

BigguyZ

An alternative I've found to using water is Mineral Spirits. It cools just like water, and it doesn't rust out your lathe bed... But honestly I don't thing that's needed very often. I think it just clumps things together.

I do reccomend backing out the bit often to clear the chips.

I don't use water when drilling because of the mess, but I go very slow on about 550-600 rpms and let the bit cool frequently. I've never broken a blank yet this way. Get a carbide tool from one of the sellers hear on IAP and you'll be one happy camper. I just sand through 1000 grit and then Micro Mesh to 12000 followed by a little Renaissance wax and they look awesome.
Good Luck!

Ditto, but I don't use the carbide tools, just Tormek-sharpened HSS. I'd imagine the carbide is a better option, though.

While drilling, go very slow, little pressure, back out often. Let the bit cool after every 1/2" or so.

dhammis

I've started working on corian, which seems to be similar to the tru-stone and with those and acrylics I squirt WD-40 into the hole. I find I get less wander and the bit stays cool. I drill on the lathe at 500 rpm.

Don't forget sharp drill bits. The drill doctor is your friend.

Brooks803

Sharp Tools, Light cuts, Drill like you would any acrylic, Let the bit cool, Clear the bit FREQUENTLY.

For finishing act like you would with acrylics. Make sure to cross sand after each grit to get those tiny swirls out, MM to 12000, use a plastic polish (I use PlastX) and you should achieve a nice shine to your pen like this:

Top Bottom