Tru Stone question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrsq

I tried a search but had no luck.

I'm turning my first tru stone. Is CA best for glueing the tube or do I need epoxy?

Thanks
Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

You'll likely get AT LEAST 4 DIFFERENT ANSWERS TO WHICH GLUE IS BEST.

I have had excellent results with thin CA, Medium CA, Thick CA, 5 minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy AND urathane (Gorilla Glue). Each works fine. 5 minute epoxy is my favorite because it allows me some "freedoms" (such as adding white acrylic paint) to glue for Mother of Pearl Tru Stone.

In my shop, white or yellow glue is the only glue I wouldnt use.

Let the games begin:)

Joe Burns

Hi Randy,

Ive only turned one truestone blank (Arizona Turquoise) last month. I used 5 min epoxy with no troubles.

Quit using CA to glue the tubes to any blanks. I lost too many due to not being able to get the tubes in all the way.

Joe

Fred

Lately I have been drilling one bit size over and using Gorilla glue tinted with a VERY small drop of Transtint. Be quick if you try this mixture as Transtint reacts rather quickly with the glue and working time is shortened a bit. (Hint: Experiment first).

76winger

And for my contribution: Whatever you use for other blanks (so long as it's not wood glue as Andy mentioned).

All of my own glue ups are done with medium or thick CA (thin sets up too fast usually) or 15min epoxy (the only epoxy I have on hand). All work well but Thick CA and epoxy gives you the most "play time" to ensure you've got it positioned correctly.

IPD_Mr

As with Andy I have used medium and thick CA. Prefer the thick to the medium, gorilla glue (quick set) and 5min epoxy. Over all of these I like the epoxy the best. I think you should use what you are most comfortable with and get the best results from. Like Andy the 5 min epoxy is great because I can add to paint to tint the glue and I can do away with reverse painting and tube painting.

Top Bottom