Tru stone pitting fix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Matt8643

I am turning a turquoise Tru Stone. It is already wet sanded and just needs to be polished, however, there are a few pits in the black matrix that runs through it. This is the second time this has happened to me. I turned a Jasper Tru stone that had a few pits in the black portions also. After wet sanding, the pits were white due to slurry that filled them. I was able to get the slurry out with a small paint brush and acetone. So all i need to do is fill the pits. I dont know whether to give it a CA finish and see if the holes fill in or to fill the holes with drops of medium CA. I just worry about the filled pits turning white or cloudy during wet sanding if I choose the latter. Any advice?

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alexanderpens

I fill the holes and resand them. It will be fine so long as you give the CA ample time to dry completely (about 10 minutes five with accelerator). After 1000 grit or higher, CA fixes disappear on my pens so it should work the same.

Matt8643

Alexander
So you've done this on Tru Stone? I thought about that but I didnt know if it was a good idea because the blue shavings are so light compared to the intact blank color, I thought it would look unusual. But it may be the best option.

SteveG

I had a similar experience with a black w/gold matrix Tru Stone. In my case, the black started pitting all over, some time after the initial pen turning (buffed finish, no CA). I decided to try my standard CA finish. It worked fine, filled all the pits, and no more pitting. I don't know why this happened, but I did notice the blank was a bit "crumbly" compared to other Tru Stone.

Alexanderpens

To answer Matt, yes I have, the CA induces what I call the "glass paint" effect (there's an actual science name for it, just could never find it.) As long as the holes aren't covered in dust, the CA wets the blank, causing the white parts to blend with their surrounding color. Depending if you micro sand or not, the CA will gain a glass-like color. Part grain color, part refraction. If done correctly, it doesn't show without actively scrutinizing for it, if at all for such small holes. Just to make sure the holes are clean, I'd suggest an old toothbrush and the acetone. If it shows blue with a dab of water or oil, you're golden. Just a reminder, this is a method used without filling with shavings, just CA glue.

Top Bottom